From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderator mourns loss of life in Pakistan

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 13 Aug 2002 16:15:15 -0400

Note #7383 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

13-August-2002
02297

Moderator mourns loss of life in Pakistan

Abu-Akel asks Presbyterians to 'join me in prayer' for world peace

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - As the death toll from last week's terrorist attacks on a Christian school and a Presbyterian hospital in Pakistan rose to 11, the Rev. Fahed Abu-Akel, moderator of the General Assembly, has asked all Presbyterians to pray for peace in Pakistan and in the world.

"Pray for those who are victims of attacks, as well as for those who carry out such violence," Abu-Akel urged.

A nurse at Christian (Presbyterian) Hospital in Taxila died over the weekend, raising the toll in last week's grenade attack to five - four nurses and one of the three attackers.

Earlier last week, six people were killed when masked gunmen opened fire at the Murree Christian School near Islamabad, Pakistan's capital. All three assailants in that attack later killed themselves while being pursued by police.

Officials of the Murree school announced this week that it is suspending classes for at least the remainder of this school year.

The text of Abu-Akel's Aug. 12 letter:

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

As you may have heard, last week was a tragic one for our friends in Pakistan. Gunmen opened fire at the Christian school in Murree, killing six people. Children of Presbyterian Church (USA) mission co-workers attend the school, but none was injured. Also, attackers lobbed grenades at departing worshippers at the Christian (Presbyterian) Hospital in Taxila, killing four nurses and wounding more than 20 hospital staff.
The hospital is one of two health facilities operated in partnership between the Presbyterian Church in Pakistan and the Presbyterian Church (USA). No PC(USA) personnel work at this particular hospital.

Our staff in the Worldwide Ministries Division is keeping in close contact with colleagues of the Presbyterian Church in Pakistan to monitor the situation. You will find more details online through the Presbyterian News Service at www.pcusa.org/pcnews.

I ask you to join me in prayer for this difficult and dangerous situation in Pakistan. Pray for those who are victims of attacks as well as for those who carry out such violence. Pray for our colleagues in Christ who are serving in Pakistan.
Let us also pray for the world. It seems that each day brings news of conflict and strife in many parts of God's creation. The words of our Lord and Savior are "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God" (Matt. 5:9). We must pray for peace now more than ever.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

Peace/Salaam,

Fahed Abu-Akel
Moderator of the 214th General Assembly (2002)