From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Archbishop commends moves to peace in Sudan

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:49:47 -0700

ACNS 3080 - LAMBETH PALACE - 6 August 2002

Archbishop commends moves to peace in Sudan

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey, has applauded recent
developments in the search for a peaceful resolution of conflict in Sudan.
Commenting on the Machakos Protocol signed last week in Kenya by both the
Sudanese Government and The Sudan People's Liberation Army, Dr Carey said:

"I have been pleased and encouraged by the recent progress that has been
made towards peace in Sudan. Any durable resolution of the conflict will
need to deal honestly with such issues as religious freedom for all and
self-determination, and I am heartened that this reality has been embraced
by those involved in the negotiations.

"I look forward with anticipation and hope to the further negotiations,
promised in the near future. I pray that they may bring still closer a final
agreement, the prospect of peace and security, and an end to the deep
suffering of the Sudanese people, for which all people of goodwill continue
to yearn."

All the parties involved have committed themselves to meet next month again
in August to continue negotiations.