From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Statement issued by Anglican Archbishop Ndungane

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:48:38 -0700

ACNS 3079 - SOUTH AFRICA - 1 August 2002

Statement issued by Anglican Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane

On the appointment of the Most Revd Rowan Williams as Archbishop of
Canterbury

I am delighted by the appointment of Rowan Williams. I have known him and
his wife Jane since the 80's - a very difficult time for the church in South
Africa. It was then that they responded to my invitation to lead seminars in
this country and their input was invaluable and hugely encouraging at a time
when we desperately needed friends in the North.

One of the challenges for those who lead is to open up new paths to places
where people have never been before. I have no doubt that during his tenure
Archbishop Williams will take our global Communion on an important journey
of self discovery on what it means to be an Anglican in the twenty-first
century and beyond.

His great depth of spirituality will be a source of inspiration to the
younger and vibrant churches in the South, while creating new opportunities
in the established, and sometimes static, churches of the North.

As importantly, his pastoral heart and passion for justice will be a source
of encouragement for those dealing with life and death issues, such as
poverty, disease and a world economic order in which the rich are getting
far too rich and the poor grow desperately poorer.

His commitment to the Anglican Communion, which I believe presently stands
at some 70 million worshippers, will strengthen the bonds of affection that
bind us. I know, from past experience that he will challenge us to develop
an ethic of living with our differences and otherness.

It is typical of the man that his first letter to his fellow archbishops
worldwide includes a reminder that our calling is to mission and evangelism
and he warns of the dangers inherent in allowing other interests to
determine our agendas.