From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Episcopal youth on a new high after Wyoming event

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:01:30 -0400

August 15, 2002

2002-194

Episcopalians: Episcopal youth on a new high after Wyoming
event

by Jerry Hames

(Episcopal Life) --The 7,200-foot altitude of the University of
Wyoming's campus seemed appropriate as this summer's Episcopal
Youth Event (EYE) reached new heights.

The event brought together 1,400 teenagers from the United
States, Caribbean and Central and South America for a week-long
funfest. Western hospitality was abundant as the teens arrived
by plane, bus, van and car, many coming from pre-EYE provincial
gatherings where they created a camaraderie that was manifested
throughout the event. The university's president, the state's
first woman treasurer and Wyoming's bishop, Bruce Caldwell--who
presented Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold with his own
10-gallon cowboy hat--greeted the teenagers as they arrived July
23 in Laramie.

"We're creating a New World here," shouted Bishop Mark
MacDonald of the Diocese of Alaska, who addressed the opening
gathering of the cheering throng. He urged them to live "in the
gospel zone" and not be enticed away by a society in which the
less strong, including women and children, are vulnerable to
attack.

>From the exuberance of the opening night's session to tearful
good-byes and hugs at an autograph party five days later, the
experience left an indelible mark on many young lives. Jammed
into those days were challenging speakers, hand-clapping
foot-stomping music, emotional liturgies, workshops on
hot-button issues, small group discussions, late night
activities, a rock-climbing expedition and a cultural carnival.

"I have seen Christ in people before, especially at youth
events I attend in my diocese," said Hayley Moore of the Diocese
of Upper South Carolina. "But I have never seen Christ shine
through so many people at one time. The friendships I made are
bonds that will never be broken or changed in any way."

"Remember your memories here," Juliana Williams of the
Diocese of Olympia advised her friends as they prepared for
home. "They become a part of you, but just a part; they are not
all of who you are. We must move on to new things and new
people," she said, "but we can still remember."

Living the Gospel

There was much to remember--a kaleidoscope of colors, beach
balls tossed from the balcony, music with a strong beat, and
stirring messages from both adults and youth each morning at
9am. "To love Jesus and not 'do the work' is not living the
Gospel," said the Rev. Altagracio Perez, a Puerto Rican priest
who works with the disadvantaged in Los Angeles. "You may pray
in your room, but if you're not out in the world, you're not
living the Gospel."

"The Gospel is not nice," she said. "It's not about being a
nice person, it's about carrying the cross. If you don't want to
carry the cross, that's proof you've got the call. It's proof
that you are called if you don't want to carry the cross," said
the Hispanic priest who said that she once thought it was enough
that she was female and a member of the minority ethnic group to
escape the "hard work" Christians must do.

Teens also addressed their peers. Brad Woodall of West
Missouri, a member of the planning team, urged them to step
forward as participants in the church's life. "You have just as
much say so as any other lay person," he said.  "You have power
to participate in lay leadership roles. Take what you have
learned and share it with your parish."

"For 33 years Woodstock has been my ideal of music, peace and
love until this week," Bishop Paul Marshall of Bethlehem told
the cheering teenagers as he graciously accepted a birthday cake
from his own contingent on the auditorium stage. The presiding
bishop and his wife, Phoebe, and 19 other bishops, casually
dressed, drifted throughout the week's activities as workshop
leaders, liturgists, or just adding to their own learning
experience. "You have the attention of the bishops. There are
more bishops here than at any other EYE," observed Bishop Michie
Klusmeyer of West Virginia. "You don't just have their
attention, you have their support."

"It's important for bishops to be around, to be available, to be
visible," said West Texas Bishop Wallis Ohl, who attended his
first EYE three years ago. "I hear idealism here," he said, "not
the cynicism of adults." He added, "They have lots of energy and
when I'm working with them I get energized." He attends every
diocesan youth event he can and looks forward to attending the
triennial EYE until he retires.

Peer ministry

Not surprisingly, music was a part of everything. First-class
musicians and singers from New York, Los Angeles, Washington,
Minneapolis and the states of Wisconsin, Virginia, Pennsylvania
and Texas with songs of "Unconditional Love" and "I Can Do All
Things" kept momentum high.  A harmonica, acoustic and bass
guitars, digital keyboard, drums, and an Australian didgeridoo
led the lead singers and got the assembly to their feet in
record time.

The official EYE theme, "Bring it to the High Plains! Tell
the People who I am!" inspired by 1 Timothy 4:11-16, was
supplemented by the persistent advice to "Drink water!" Hundreds
of gallons of water were guzzled each day to prevent dehydration
from the high altitude, coupled with searing heat and low
humidity. Physical outdoor games were kept brief and the nursing
station was kept busy.

In an innovation, eight Lutherans and eight Episcopalians
trained as "peer ministers" prayed with and listened to other
teens who needed to talk about their family, school or personal
life. The program, developed by the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America, was designed to let teens minister to other teens.

"I was an easy ear to talk to, a comforting shoulder to cry
on and a quick smile for those ready to laugh," said Christina
Caruccio, a recent high school graduate who was one of the peer
ministers. "I believe it was true servant leadership. It was
exhausting, but it was the most fulfilling role I have ever
experienced," she said.

Workshops allowed for an open exchange of opinions and some
of these were reported in the High Plains Messenger, the
daily newsletter written by a teen press corps.  "As
participants at EYE we are all different and unique," Robyn
Deren of the Diocese of Newark wrote. "We come with already
formed opinions on race, sexual preferences and other
controversial issues. But we must not let our opinions stand in
the way of being friends with someone."

Respect for differences

Respect for differences was evident throughout many sessions,
including the "hot topics" that discussed immigrant and refugee
experiences in the U.S.; being sexual and being Christian;
learning to live after the 9/11 experience and how the murder of
Matthew Shepard, the gay Episcopalian University of Wyoming
student, is challenging hatred everywhere.

"We still have ugly feelings about what we experienced then,"
said Caldwell after a presentation on hatred and the fear of
violence against gays by youth from New York and Long Island.
"But even during the experience itself, God was present," he
maintained,  describing acts of reconciliation he witnessed in
the days immediately following the discovery of Shepard's
battered body tied to a fence post outside of town. Some talked
about visiting the site while others described the fears they
have for their gay and lesbian friends. A few spoke about how
guarded they must be in disclosing their sexual orientation.

Games, food, arts and crafts were part of the cultural fair
at which each diocese sponsored an exhibit. Hawaiian teens
brought crates of pineapples that they chopped into bite-sized
pieces; Western Louisiana youth served bowls of gumbo they had
prepared hours earlier. Pennsylvania youth had a historic
display and were costumed as Ben Franklin, baseball's Phillies
Phanatic and the rock singer Pink; and the Guatemalan youth
exhibited handicrafts.

Late night fun began with a coffeehouse for budding
entertainers, outdoor salsa dancing, karaoke singing, and movies
like "Jaws" which was shown at the university's swimming pool.

The Rev. Sylvester Romero, a Hispanic priest in the Diocese
of Spokane, urged the youth to find ways to have fun, but also
to respond to God's call. "Be bold in Christ, even if it means
being uncomfortable," he said. "All that we do is a sacrament."

Klusmeyer said, "There is an initial moment that changes
life. We have such a moment here, when a spark is ignited that
sets life on fire. Too often that spark gets blown out. When you
return home, don't let anyone blow it out. You will encounter
resistance, but meet it head-on, be persistent."

Woodall told them their possibilities were endless. "We must
not be stopped by failures or frustrated if things don't go our
way. Go home and minister to your brothers and your sisters," he
said.

------

--Jerry Hames is editor of Episcopal Life.