From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - The Manila Covenant International Church Leaders Solidarity

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:16:26 -0700

Summit

ACNS 3088 - PHILLIPINES - 15 August 2002

The Manila Covenant

International Church Leaders Solidarity Summit

30 July - 1 August 2002

COMMUNIQUI

We have come from different parts of the world to celebrate the Centenary of
Iglesia Filipina Independiente (IFI). Together we give thanks to God for the
birth of a living branch of the Church in the midst of the hopes and
struggles of the Filipino people. Being in full communion with the IFI we
are all united in the spirituality of grace and justice, nurtured by our
roots in the community of the Living God. We who are united here from the
different parts of the world are from the Episcopal Church in the USA, the
Old Catholic Church of the Netherlands and of Switzerland, the Church of
Melanesia, the Anglican Church of Australia, the Church of North India, the
Episcopal Church in the Philippines and the Church of Sweden, all of us
sharing the historic experience of being fully united with the Iglesia
Filipina Independiente. Others who are here are close ecumenical partners
such as the United Methodist Church in the Philippines, the United Church of
Christ in the Philippines and the National Council of Churches in the
Philippines.

The Summit had the opportunity to discover and to deepen the understanding
of being church and followers of Jesus Christ in the challenges and
sufferings of the present world community. We take courage from the history
of the IFI and its hundred years of dedication to the Apostolic Faith and
the dignity of the Filipino People. IFI brings a special gift to the world
church. It has retrieved the integrity of Christian faith and witness in its
passionate commitment to the service of the people and in keeping the church
attentive to the burning political issues of today. We are all dedicated to
uphold and to continue this specific dimension of Christian witness in our
different countries and regions. We are particularly concerned about the
following three issues:

The disruptive consequences of economic globalization
While developing countries tend to welcome the opportunities afforded by
globalization, our experience in the Philippines has alerted us to the
disruptive consequences of economic globalization. These consequences are
e.g. more impoverishment of the peasants and workers, higher prices for
basic commodities such as rice, water and electricity, lack of access to
basic social services such as health care and education, the commodification
and sexual exploitation of women and children, indigenous peoples having
been forced out of their ancestral lands due to incursions of foreign mining
operations, forests being destroyed and other natural resources being
depleted, while the increase of forced migration for economic survival
continues. We call on all people of faith and goodwill to consider the moral
imperatives of justice and compassion in the face of increasing
globalization and the threat of the domination of the poor that it poses. We
commit ourselves to look for alternatives to the present dominating
neo-liberal globalization.

Foreign intervention and War on Terrorism
The long and painful history of colonial domination of the Philippines by
successive foreign powers has made us conscious of national independence,
freedom and dignity. While we recognize the anti-human destructive force of
terrorism as a threat to world peace, the so-called "War on Terrorism"
should not be made into an excuse by powerful nations for threatening the
independence and autonomy of other countries and people. The cause of world
peace will be best served by upholding the values of mutual respect,
sovereignty, territorial integrity and equality.

The right to restitution from damages caused by colonialism
The Filipino people share with all people who have experienced colonial
exploitation the need for restitution and renewal of just relationships. We
sympathize with the IFI, given that at the time of its formation, it was
deprived of property and resources. This has meant that it has struggled to
survive during the one hundred years of its history. We encourage the
churches in the regions of the former colonial rulers to work for the public
recognition of damages caused during the time of colonialism and for the
restitution of all that is right.

Taking part in this Centenary Celebration we have rediscovered the deep
meaning of Catholicity. Belonging to the worldwide Church we commit
ourselves to the building of just and sustainable communities in all parts
of the world. Strengthened by the deep sharing and the vibrant spirituality
of the Filipino people, we affirm our need for culture and liturgy that
affirm our dignity and give us hope. We commit ourselves to this covenant by
working for its fulfillment in our own churches and countries, by
theological reflection on the issues that concern us, and by continuing to
stand in solidarity with the Filipino people in their struggle for justice
and peace.

Signed in the city of Manila, Philippines:

The Most Revd Tomas A. Millamena, DD
Obispo Maximo X
Iglesia Filipina Independiente

The Most Revd Joris Vercammen