From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Leader Calls Rev. Franklin Graham's Recent Remarks on Islam Divisive

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:26:56 -0700

and Manipulative

For Immediate Release
August 15, 2002
Contact:
Melissa Schwartz, (202) 639-6370, 106

Christian Leader Calls Rev. Franklin Graham's Recent Remarks on Islam
Divisive and Manipulative

Statement of the Rev. Dr. C. Welton Gaddy
Executive Director, The Interfaith Alliance

WASHINGTON - I have read with disappointment the recent interviews and
remarks made by the Reverend Franklin Graham on Islam, suggesting, among
other things, that terrorism is part of "mainstream" Islam.  As a Christian,
I have found his comments to be divisive and misguided and feel compelled to
speak out in defense of a faith and text that I see as being actively
manipulated.

Rev. Graham's distortions of Islam, offered in the name of Christianity,
distort the very nature of Christianity.  The teachings of Jesus, on which
his arguments rely, in fact warn against the danger of judging other people
and attempting to assess others' motives and the validity of their
spirituality.

Clearly, Rev. Graham does not see that his method of interpreting the
Qur'an, including his suggestions that it preaches violence, invites a
similar method of analysis of the Bible.  Such a method could lead to the
same kind of distortion of Christianity that has led to his distortion of
Islam.  How would he respond to a person who attacked the nature of his
faith and his God in the manner in which he is attacking others?

A New York Times article this morning quotes Rev. Graham as saying that
Muslims have not adequately apologized for the tragic events of September
11th.  Rev. Graham is wrong.  In my interaction with Muslim leaders, I have
heard expressions of deep grief over the fact that extremist Muslims used
the name of a religion of peace to justify their reign of terror.

This manipulation is the same that I fear Rev. Graham is employing, using
the name of Christianity to attack persons to whom the Christian community
should reach out with a compassionate desire for understanding and
cooperation. If anything, biblical studies warn against using religious
pronouncements to polarize a world that needs reconciliation rather than
further polarization. Perhaps Rev. Graham would do well to cease his
critique of what he considers to be a lack of help from others and instead,
encourage help among his peers.  That is the true spirit of Christian
compassion.

At a time when the United States is the most religiously pluralistic nation
in the world, religious leaders must dedicate themselves to bringing faith
communities together, not driving them apart.  Past remarks by Rev. Graham
have referred to Islam as "an evil and violent religion."  These accusations
serve to drive a wedge through the religious community.  If Rev. Graham
cannot speak with helpfulness, he certainly should not contribute to any
greater misunderstanding, an environment of hate, nor rhetorical attacks
that can inflame sick minds to respond with violence.

###

Founded in 1994 in opposition to the Religious Right, The Interfaith
Alliance (TIA) strives to demonstrate that there are more voices in the
religious community than those of extremists, and challenges those who
manipulate religion to promote a narrow, divisive agenda. TIA is a
non-partisan, clergy-led grassroots organization that, with more than
150,000 members drawn from over 50 faith traditions, local Alliances in 38
states and a national network of religious leaders, promotes compassion,
civility and mutual respect for human dignity in our increasingly diverse
society.

Melissa Schwartz
Media Relations Director
The Interfaith Alliance