From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Africa University sets record enrollment

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:48:57 -0500

Aug. 21, 2002  News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.   10-31-71B{372}

By Andra Stevens*

MUTARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) - From across the continent and as far away as Japan
and the United States, almost 600 students from 18 countries are enrolled in
undergraduate and graduate programs at Africa University this year, setting
a record as the school celebrates its 10th anniversary.

Africa University's 11th academic year puts the university's total student
population at just under 1,200, the largest enrollment to date.

"The strong desire for higher education in African countries is evident in
these numbers," says Professor Rukudzo Murapa, Africa University's vice
chancellor. "Young people are looking around and comparing what various
institutions have to offer. It's clear that Africa University is now the No.
1 choice for many of them."

Susana Massenge of Mozambique worked for more than 20 years and celebrated
her silver wedding anniversary before the opportunity to attend a university
arose. She is excited about starting classes in the faculty (department) of
management and administration.

"I've been trained up to the medium level, but I feel it is not enough to
help in the way that I want to help my people," Massenge says. "That's why I
came to Africa University."

Of the school's five faculties offering degree programs, the faculty of
humanities and social sciences, with its 168 new students, is the most
popular. The faculty of management and administration is a close second,
with 141 students in their first year. Seventy-eight new students have
enrolled in education programs so far; agriculture and natural resources has
37; and theology, 15. Thirty-nine students are enrolled in the one-year
intensive English training course.

Jean-Claude Havyarimana has spent the past year in the intensive English
class. He's about to begin his formal courses in marketing and management.
Along with professional skills and knowledge, he's found something special
in the Africa University community that he wants to take home to Burundi.

"Africa University is a place where we can change our ideas because we meet
with other people from different countries, live comfortably with them and
can gain from them," Havyarimana says. "My dream is to go back home to my
country and bring new ideas that show that even if we are different, our
differences can make us a strong and beautiful nation. I want to show people
how to live and work together so that they can improve the country."

Africa University's registrar, Frank Chikange, says the growth in student
numbers means the university must be creative and use academic and support
facilities to maximum benefit.

"Our major challenge this semester is in the area of classroom and dormitory
space," Chikange says.

Large numbers of first-year students mean large classes for the core courses
in Christian ethics and values, information technology and African studies
that all freshmen must take. The strong enrollment also means increased
pressure on the library, laboratory and other facilities, and additional
demands on teaching and support staff.

The new faculty of theology building, a $1.6 million facility constructed
with a gift from the South Carolina Annual Conference, was handed over by
contractors just in time. Lecturers and classes are moving into its offices,
halls and seminar rooms. The academic timetable is being reviewed and more
evening and Saturday classes added to the schedule. In the student affairs
department, staff members are bracing for full capacity in the residence
halls.

"The residence halls house 1,036 students at triple occupancy," Chikange
says. "We're confident that we can accommodate all the students who want
on-campus housing."

Two new residence halls were completed earlier in the year with support from
churches and individuals in the South Indiana Annual Conference. Both halls
are fully occupied.

The acting registrar for student affairs, Ellen Gwaradzimba, notes that
though the difficult economic climate in Zimbabwe and neighboring African
countries hasn't dampened the demand for university education, it is likely
to have an impact on student welfare.

"Families are using all their resources to get the students here and pay the
necessary fees," Gwaradzimba says. "Once the students are on campus though,
they're having trouble providing such basics as toothpaste, soap and money
for meals."

The university offered admission to 800 applicants and began registering
first-year students Aug. 5. Already, more than 450 people have paid their
fees and registered for classes. The new students come from 18 countries:
Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Japan,
Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Sudan, Tanzania,
Uganda, United States, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Itsuko Yamashita of Japan, a student in the intensive English course,
describes Africa University as an open door to a dream she's had for years.
She's already a university graduate and teacher, but she has always wanted
to attend a university outside Japan.

"I want to learn about African culture, and I want to communicate with
African people and deepen my knowledge of Africa," Yamashita says. "I was
very interested in this university, not any other university, because it's
very international and has people from all over Africa."

Yamashita has a year of English language study ahead before she goes on to
major in psychology and sociology in the faculty of humanities and social
sciences.

All year, Africa University has been celebrating its 10th anniversary. In
August, three students and the university choir are participating in a cycle
relay to promote HIV/AIDS awareness and education. The relay, organized by
World Vision International, begins in Aug. 22 in Beira, Mozambique. Riders
will make their way through nine African countries and end the race Sept. 21
in Durban, South Africa. Other anniversary events include the launch of the
Africa University Marathon in November and a symposium organized by the
university and the Council of Presidents of the church's historically black
schools.

# # #

*Stevens is coordinator for Africa University's 10th anniversary
celebration.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org