From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan - It is not Good to Live Without Perception of Death

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:56:01 -0700

Taiwan Church News 2634, August 25, 2002
Reported by Li Shin-ren.  Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

    The seventh month of the lunar year is observed as "Ghost
Month" by adherents of Taiwan's folk religions.  The high regard
for life held by folk religionists is on display at this time.
Christians can profitably use this time to inquire into our own
personal attitudes towards the nature of life and death.  The
Rev. Mr Wu Wen (Ngo Bun), Chaplain of Tainan Theological College,
calls for "Life and Death Study within the Context of Church
Fellowship".  He says, "The church's five greatest emphases:
worship, proclamation, education, service and fellowship, all
contain facets of life and death study. The church must care for
her members from birth through old age, even in sickness and
death."
    "Churches with cemeteries have 'cemetery management' boards.
These might best be renamed 'end of life concern teams."   Rev.
Wu has studied the issues of life and death for several years.
He says, "A church can establish an end of life concern team at a
time when there is no pressing need, and conduct life and death
study and training in order to be ready to conduct visitation,
counseling, discussions and other needed support activities
skillfully when the need arises.  Under the pastor's leadership
all team members can become equipped, and the church can become a
resource for its community, not just its members.  This will
deepen a local congregation's influence on its neighborhood."
    Rev. Wu became interested in the issues of life and death
study during the two years he spent imprisoned for political
offenses during the 1980's.  At that time he experienced
personally the fear and anxiety of death without assistance. He
began to look upon death as an important matter to be considered,
especially from his position as a Christian.  He felt compelled
to look more deeply into the topic.  While in prison, fearing
that he would be executed, he prayed and studied the scriptures
with a newfound zeal.  He found a special "spirituality of death"
that developed into his own version of "life and death studies"
upon his release from jail.
   His understanding his specialty is set forth vividly.  "Life
and Death Study is the process of delving deeply into each
individual person's progression from birth through death.  This
includes facing our attitudes to death and our ethical positions
on the meaning of life.  We look at things from medical,
theological and other angles, and proceed by discussion as well
as lecture.  The process of dying itself is studied, as well as
the phenomenon known as 'near death experience.'
Since every one of us will experience death, our study of the
process is significant."
    "Going through life without awareness of death is not a good
thing, but living in the recognition that we will die gives us
understandings of the meaning of life itself."  Rev Wu calls to
Christians from direct experience. He advocates being at ease in
the face of our own eventual deaths as the best way to respond to
life from the standpoint of faith.

For More Information:  Rev Wu-wen  TEL +886 6 235 5730
                                  FAX +886 6 234 8582

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Chinese.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw