From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan - A Feast of Bamboo Music

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:50:36 -0700

Taiwan Church News 2634, August 25, 2002
Reported by Staff. Translated and rewritten by David Alexander

    A church named for bamboo, Zui-Chu Presbyterian Church in
Central Taiwan's earthquake reconstruction zone, sponsored a
children's summer camp centered around bamboo.  The word "chu" in
the church's name means "bamboo" and the church itself is located
in a township named "bamboo mountain".  The camp was
non-residential. It's meetings and activities stretched across
two weeks beginning on August 12th.  Singing, stories of the
heroes of Taiwan church history, group skits and other typical
children's camp activities were included, but the most special
activity was the inclusion of several crafts and musical programs
centered on the local product, bamboo.
    Under this special theme, there were "bamboo proverbs", "make
your own bamboo musical instruments", "bamboo and culture",
"bamboo and music", "bamboo flute instruction" and "basics of
bamboo percussion rhythm."  The children formed a bamboo
percussion orchestra while they learned the human and natural
history of their community.
    On August 23rd, the camp's final day, a demonstration was
held.  Community residents were invited to the church for the
program.  Pastor Tsai Nan-hsin (Chhoa Lam-sin) said, "The
students were highly interested.  I believe that if we follow up
the camp with a formally established bamboo musical group, then
it will help our community's cultural development, and give the
children a fuller life environment."

For More Information:  Zui-Chu Presbyterian Church
zuichu/church@yahoo.com

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Chinese.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw