From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop's Statement on Sept. 11 Anniversary

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:43:20 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 26, 2002

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- "September 11 is a day for prayer, a day of
memory and hope, a day to rededicate our lives to working for peace and
justice.  We remember those who died and those who continue to mourn
their deaths.  We also remember those who have died since September 11
from the escalating violence in the world.  As Jesus wept over
Jerusalem, longing that people might know the days that make for peace,
so we weep for the world.  Yet, we do not lose hope; for our hope is in
God who continues to create life, reconcile and set us free for a life
of witness and service.  Let our working for peace be witness to God's
work in and for the sake of the world."

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson
Presiding Bishop
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

-- -- --

Resources related to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks are located at
http://www.elca.org/dcs/disaster/sept11index.html

For information contact: