From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: Special groups need ministry during September

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:06:58 -0500

Aug. 26, 2002  News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-71BP{378}

NOTE: A head-and-shoulders photograph of the Rev. Terrie Modesto is
available. For a related commentary, see UMNS #377.

A UMNS Commentary
By the Rev. Terrie Modesto*

Recently, I was with someone who had cried a great deal due to the pain of
death and loss. Once the crying was over, he wiped his eyes, washed his face
with cold water and prepared to re-enter community and daily life.

However, such a transition should not be rushed. There are many tasks that
individuals need to attend to after the death of a loved one. The same is
true for our society as we go through the tasks of re-establishing ourselves
after the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001.

In the days and weeks leading up to and following the anniversary, there
will also be new tasks that we as a nation and as a church must face.

First and foremost, we will be faced with finding new meaning for ourselves
individually and collectively from the pain and anguish that we have already
experienced. This is where the church is so vitally needed.

The church is called upon to be a healing presence of compassionate ministry
to individuals and groups who suffer emotional pain:

7	Grieving individuals and families that are currently involved in
life-threatening or bereavement situations may not be experiencing the level
of attention or support that has been shown in response to nationally
recognized grievances. They may feel that their pain has been
disenfranchised.

7	Children will be exposed during the anniversary period to television
footage of last year's devastation. Children have limited concentration and
understanding that what they are seeing on TV is not happening right now.
They may need to be comforted more and have their exposure to such material
monitored and limited.

7	Homebound people also need to be checked on more frequently since,
for many, television is a main source of entertainment. During the
anniversary period, some of their general entertainment shows may be
substituted by special anniversary programming. Such substitutions can be
depressing or disturbing to them. Homebound people will need to be offered
opportunities to express their feelings and thoughts.

7	Emergency response and medical workers, such as fire fighters,
police and emergency medical response staff and hospital staff, need our
attention. The pain and grief of first responders can at times be
overlooked. During this anniversary period, the church may want to have a
time to address the first responders and let them know how much they are
appreciated.

7	Military staff and veterans have experienced the death of brother
and sister soldiers under horrible wartime conditions. Anniversaries can
bring back vivid memories of such ordeals that have long been removed from
daily thought. Talking and sharing with these people is a great ministry in
the Lord's name.

7	Military families may have loved ones on duty in far-off and
possibly dangerous locations. They need care and support as well. Letters of
support and visits are important.

# # #

*Modesto, pastor of Olive Branch-Good Shepherd United Methodist Church in
Baltimore, is a pastoral thanatologist. Thanatology focuses on the medical,
psychological and social problems associated with death. This commentary
originally appeared in the Baltimore-Washington Conference's UMConnection
newspaper.

Commentaries provided by United Methodist News Service do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of UMNS or the United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org