From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Greek Orthodox - Beginning of the Ecclesiastical New Year

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:14:14 -0700

                    GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
    8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021  Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212)
                                  774-0215
         Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

  Protocol 90/02

  September 1, 2002
  Beginning of the Ecclesiastical New Year

  To  the  Most  Reverend  Hierarchs,  the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the
  Monks  and  Nuns, the Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of the
  Greek   Orthodox   Communities,   the   Day  and  Afternoon  Schools,  the
  Philoptochos   Sisterhood,  the  Young  Adults  and  Youth,  the  Hellenic
  Organizations, and the entire Greek Orthodox Family in America

  Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

       It  is  with heartfelt joy in the Lord that I communicate with you at
  the beginning of a new ecclesiastical year.

       Much like our natural world, our Church follows a cycle of growth and
  renewal,  setting  aside  one  day out of each liturgical year where we as
  Orthodox  Christians  mark  new beginnings and define new challenges.  Our
  Orthodox faith is not static, but dynamic, with the power to transform our
  lives,  our  relationships  with  one another, and the society in which we
  live.

       Considering  the importance of beginnings, it is not by accident that
  we  also  designate,  under  the  direction  of  our Ecumenical Patriarch,
  September  1  as  a Day for the Protection of the Natural Environment.  We
  recognize this immediate connection in the very first words of the book of
  Genesis,  "In  the  beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Gen.
  1:1).   Reading  the  creation  account  further,  we  encounter a God who
  creates  all things good and who bestows with endless love the gift of the
  natural  environment  to  us  human beings.  Such an offering inspired the
  Psalmist  to  ponder:  "When  I  consider  Your  heavens, the work of Your
  fingers,  the moon and the stars, which You ordained, what is man that You
  are mindful of him?" (Psalm 8: 3-4)

       As  members  of  a  technologically  advanced society and as Orthodox
  faithful,  we  bear  a  special  obligation towards protecting the natural
  environment  and  raising  ecological  awareness.   On  a global level our
  Orthodox  Church  offers  Her  prophetic and redemptive voice towards this
  end.   The  many  ecological  initiatives  of our Ecumenical Patriarchate,
  speak  to this contribution, the most recent being a seaborne symposium on
  the  Adriatic  Sea  this  past  June  where scientists, religious leaders,
  policy-makers,  and  journalists  from  around  the  world met in order to
  address growing environmental concerns affecting this body of water.

       The  commitment  of our Orthodox Church to protecting our environment
  must  also  be a part of the local ministry of our parishes.  On this day,
  September 1, we are called as members of the Body of Christ to address the
  needs   of  our  own  communities  concerning  the  environment.   We  are
  challenged  to  behold  with  sensitivity  the  state of the natural world
  around  us,  and  to respond decisively when we witness the degradation of
  natural  resources  and the problems of increasing air and water pollution
  in our cities.

       In  the  face  of these and other challenges, we remember on this day
  that  the  natural  environment  is  a  freely given gift from God, and we
  reaffirm  our  responsibility to act as stewards of His creation, offering
  back  to God the same precious gifts which He has so lovingly given to us.
  In  so  doing, we pray that we may be imparted the Divine wisdom to behold
  how  "the  heavens  declare  the glory of God, and the firmament shows His
  handiwork." (Psalm 19: 1).

       May  we  mark  the  beginning  of this ecclesiastical New Year with a
  renewed  dedication  to  our  natural  environment,  and  may the infinite
  mercies of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ be with all of you.

                                           With paternal love in Christ,
                                                   + DEMETRIOS
                                              Archbishop of America