From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodist leaders meet to develop strategy for Africa

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:38:15 -0500

Aug. 29, 2002   News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.  10-31-71B{381}

By United Methodist News Service

Top leaders of the United Methodist Church will gather Sept. 4-6 in Dakar,
Senegal, to develop a strategy for addressing major problems facing the
continent of Africa.

The group, under the leadership of Bishop Felton Edwin May of Washington,
will work on a holistic approach to Africa's societal needs and to
supporting United Methodist congregations across the continent. It will
report its findings to the church's Council of Bishops.

"I am hopeful that the coordination of our considerable resources as a
denomination will provide the necessary support for a stronger witness by
the United Methodist Church on the continent of Africa," May said. "In
collaboration with the African bishops, we will continue to respond to the
call for resources to address their need for better health care, education
and community development.

"I personally affirm the obvious commitment to Christ among African churches
evidenced by their rapid growth; and I hope for a promising future in the
midst of very difficult political and social situations," he said.

The gathering will draw more than 60 church leaders, including bishops and
top staff executives of the denomination's agencies. Along with May, the
bishops will include Done Peter Dabale of Nigeria; Gaspar Joao Domingos of
Angola; Joseph C. Humper of Sierra Leone; John Innis of Liberia; Christopher
Jokomo of Zimbabwe; Benjamin Justo of the Philippines; Kainda Katembo of the
Democratic Republic of Congo; Joao Somane Machado of Mozambique; J. Alfred
Ndoricimpa of Burundi; Nkulu Ntanda Ntambo of the Democratic Republic of
Congo; Fama Onema of the Democratic Republic of Congo; Gregory Palmer of the
United States; Jose Quipungo of Angola; and F. Herbert Skeete of the United
States.

The group will also join with missionaries and other Senegalese colleagues,
both Christian and Muslim, in celebrating the United Methodist Church's
presence in Senegal.

The denomination has 10 million members worldwide. Africa is one of the
fastest-growing regions in United Methodist membership and church starts.
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org