From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Church leaders appeal to 'stop the rush to war'

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:14:30 -0400

August 30, 2002

2002-199

Episcopalians: Church leaders appeal to 'stop the rush to
war'

(NCCC/ENS) Thirty-seven Christian leaders from three Western
nations, gathered in Geneva, Switzerland, for a meeting of the
World Council of Churches Central Committee, have issued an urgent call
to the American government to pull back from its unilateral
movement toward pre-emptive military action against Iraq, and to
seek the appropriate counsel of the U.S. Congress, the United
Nations, and U.S. allies.

The group, which included both General Secretary Bob Edgar
and President Elenie Huszagh of the National Council of Churches
USA, warned that the human cost might far outweigh the gain of
such an attack, and that they do not believe it has been proven
that "all reasonable alternative means of containing Iraq's
development of weapons of mass destruction have been exhausted."

The statement expressed strong concerns about the "internal
repression" of the Iraqi government and called for Saddam
Hussein to halt efforts to develop weapons of mass destruction.
But it also said unilateral action against Iraq weakens the
international community and undermines respect for law. "We have
watched with growing alarm as the United States government has
become increasingly unilateral in its approach to foreign
affairs, and has failed to heed the advice and counsel of
friends and allies," the statement said.

"Our knowledge of and links with church partners in the
Middle East and our unity in Christ with Christians there make
us very sensitive to the destabilizing potential of a war
against Iraq for the whole region, the statement continued. "As
Christians, we are concerned by the likely human costs of war
with Iraq, particularly for civilians. We are unconvinced that
the gain for humanity would be proportionate to the loss."

Anglican signers of the statement include Bishop Christopher
Epting (Episcopal Church, U.S.A.); the Rev. Alyson Barnett-Cowan
and Alice-Jean Finlay (Anglican Church of Canada); Bishop Barry
Morgan (Church in Wales); and Bishop Barry Rogerson (Church of
England).

------