From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop: U.S. War with Iraq Would Be 'Wrong'

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:35:33 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 30, 2002

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP: U.S. WAR WITH IRAQ WOULD BE 'WRONG'
02-209-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The presiding bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) said it would be wrong for the
United States to seek to overthrow the regime of Saddam Hussein of
Iraq with military action.
     "I do not believe such a war can be justified under the
historic principles of 'just war,'" said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, in
an Aug. 30 statement.
     Hanson's remarks were in response to this week's statements of
Bush Administration officials, suggesting the possibility of a
unilateral, pre-emptive U.S. military campaign to strike at Hussein's
military capabilities, especially weapons of mass destruction under
his control.
     Citing the 1995 ELCA social statement, "For Peace in God's
World," Hanson said the church is obligated to prevent wars and seek
alternatives to them.  "This is a time to stop the use of hostile
rhetoric and verbal threats, and to focus again on diplomacy," he
said.
     Saying he is "fully aware" of the potential threat posed by the
government of Iraq and Hussein, Hanson said he "morally" opposes a
war with Iraq at this time.
     "I oppose it because we know a war with Iraq will have great
consequences for the people of Iraq, who have already suffered
through years of war and economic sanctions," Hanson said.  It is
also detrimental to U.S. interests to take unilateral military action
against Iraq because there is already strong international support
for weapons inspections, and most world governments oppose military
action, he said.  Military action will further destabilize the Middle
East region, Hanson said.
     The U.S. government should continue its cooperation with
international efforts through the United Nations to control Iraq's
weapons of mass destruction, Hanson said.
     "The ELCA has consistently called for diplomatic efforts toward
a cease-fire and a just and lasting peace in the Middle East," the
ELCA  presiding bishop said.  "I would encourage the U.S. government
to formulate its response to Iraq toward a similar end."
     "As the attention of this nation increasingly focuses on the
anniversary of Sept. 11, we are reminded of the devastating impact of
war," Hanson said. "So, we continue to reject violent action and are
renewed in our resolve to find peaceful, nonviolent solutions. I call
upon members of our congregations to be fervent in prayer, engaged in
conversation with one another and with our leaders.
     The ELCA encourages all people of faith to participate in the
affairs of government through moral deliberation that respects the
"views of everyone," he said.  "We must oppose racist and enemy
images that dehumanize, deny the love of God for all people and do
not help in resolving conflict," Hanson said.
     "In the final analysis, we must stand unequivocally for peace,"
Hanson said in conclusion. "We extend our prayers for peace to all
who must decide and to all who are affected, here, in the Persian
Gulf region and around the world. We remember our President and his
administration, members of Congress, military personnel and their
families, and all who may be affected during this critical time in
global history."
     The statement echoes a similar statement issued Aug. 30 by 37
Christian leaders from Britain, Canada and the United States, who
gathered in Geneva, Switzerland, for a meeting of the World Council
of Churches (WCC) Central Committee. They issued an urgent call to
the American government to pull back from its unilateral movement
toward pre-emptive military action against Iraq, according to a WCC
news release.  Three representatives of the ELCA -- Jennifer Nagel,
Arthur Norman and E. Louise Williams -- signed the statement.
---
  The text of ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson's Iraq statement
can be found at http://www.elca.org/bishop/iraq.html on the ELCA's
Web site.

For information contact: