From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Presiding Bishop's statement on Church of the Good Shepherd

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:27:29 -0400

September 6, 2002

2002-204

Episcopalians: Presiding Bishop's statement on Church of the
Good Shepherd

For more than a year I have sought to resolve the impasse
between the Bishop and Standing Committee of the Diocese of
Pennsylvania and the rector and vestry of the Church of the Good
Shepherd, Rosemont. Although I have no canonical authority in
this diocesan matter, I have employed every means at my disposal
to help find a way forward that honored the concerns of all, and
strongly urged that they enter into a process of mediation.
During this time, I have met with Bishop Bennison as well as
Father Moyer and members of the Vestry of the Church of the Good
Shepherd.

To my mind the difficulties between the parties are at heart
pastoral, and therefore resolution could have been found without
recourse to canons and rubrics. This failure to resolve the
conflict has been costly for all involved. As chief pastor of
the Episcopal Church in the United States it grieves me deeply
that this rift has occurred in the body of Christ. It grieves me
further when a bishop's ministry is not welcomed by a
congregation, a diocese loses the services of one of its
priests, and the mission of the church risks losing the
commitment and energies of dedicated members of a congregation.

I am aware that some have said this conflict is an indication
that those with "traditionalist" views do not have a place in
the Episcopal Church.  I cannot say strongly enough that this is
not the case. Unfortunately, it is the difficult and anomalous
situations that draw notice, as if they were normative. Indeed,
this occurrence is a sad exception to how the ecclesial life of
the Episcopal Church in the United States is lived.

The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold
 Presiding Bishop and
Primate
 The Episcopal Church, USA