From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Presiding Bishop's statement on military action against Iraq

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:24:58 -0400

September 6, 2002

2002-202

Episcopalians: Presiding Bishop's statement on military
action against Iraq

September 6, 2002

Our nation is now engaged in a debate about the wisdom of
military action designed to remove Saddam Hussein from power.
The choices made now will set in motion events that will
reverberate around the world, for good or ill.	In this grave
time I encourage President Bush to continue to listen with an
open mind to those who articulate very different positions from
his own, voices within our nation and from our allies and others
around the world.

The problem of Iraq admits no easy solution. However, through
diplomatic and multilateral initiatives, we can both serve our
common interests and seek to contain the national security
threats posed by Saddam Hussein's rule of Iraq. Our great nation
now has the opportunity to express leadership in the world by
forging a foreign policy that seeks to reconcile and heal the
world's divisions.

I believe it is becoming ever more clear that this is the way
to proceed, rather than choosing a course that will immediately
endanger the Iraqi civilian population and our own United States
Forces, that will alienate many of our closest allies, and
destabilize the Middle East. We will all be better served to see
our national energies and resources expended in resolving the
Israeli/Palestinian conflict, such that Israel finds security
and peace with its neighbors and Palestinians achieve statehood.

Further, unilateral military action would surely inflame the
passions of millions, particularly in the Arab world, setting in
motion cycles of violence and retaliation. Such action would
undermine our firm national intent to eradicate global
terrorism. As well, it would further strain tenuous
relationships that exist between the United States and other
nations.

The question for us now must be: what is our role in the
community of nations? I believe we have the capacity within us
to help lead our world into the way of justness and peace. The
freedoms we enjoy as citizens of the United States oblige us to
attend not only to our own welfare, but to the wellbeing of the
world around us. A super power, especially one that declares
itself to be "under God," must exercise the role of super
servant. Our nation has an opportunity to reflect the values and
ideals that we espouse by focusing upon issues of poverty,
disease and despair, not only within our own nation but
throughout the global community of which we are a part.

The House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church has called the
Church to the costly work of waging not war but reconciliation.
This means addressing the root causes of the anger toward the
West and the United States in particular, and building new
understandings between Jews, Muslims, and Christians - all of us
the children of Abraham.  The Church's governing board, the
Executive Council, also voted  in June to "oppose unilateral
military action against Iraq," citing its October, 2001
resolution "to promote the eradication of terrorism through
justice and reconciliation abroad."

The President and his Administration need our prayers as they
seek ways to address the challenges that face our troubled and
fragile world. I pray that compassion and reconciliation and
healing may become the realities of our common life, thereby
reflecting God's own passionate desire for the life of the world
God sent his Son to save.

------

The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold
 Presiding Bishop and