From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan's Growing Church Unity

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:31:50 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2637, September 15, 2002
Reported by Lin Yi-ying. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   When the Executive Committee of the Presbyterian Church in
Taiwan's (PCT) met on September 6th, the Rev. Mr. Lin Chao-tai,
and Elder Ms. Hwang Mei-chu, the General Secretary and Moderator
of the New Life Christian Churches Alliance, were in attendance.
They put their signatures, along with those of PCT Moderator Ong
Kong-su and General Secretary William J.K. Lo, on a formal
mission cooperation agreement.	This is the first such agreement
that the PCT, which participates in  many international mission
partnerships, has signed with a domestic partner church.
Rev. Lo hopes that the close cooperation the PCT enjoys with
Taiwan's Holiness, Mennonite, Methodist and Anglican churches
will soon lead to similar partnerships.
   Beyond its joining the domestic partnership with the PCT, the
New Life Christian Churches Alliance (NLCCA) has also expressed
an interest in joining the World Association of Taiwanese
Christian Churches.  When that group meets in Vienna, Austria
later this month the matter will be formally presented and it is
expected the application will be accepted.
   PCT Moderator Ong said, "The PCT and the NLCCA share one
blood, one family,
one Lord, and proclaim the same one gospel.  We thank the Lord
who has drawn us to this partnership agreement.  We hope that in
international concern and domestic attention to the future of
Taiwan we can continue as close partners proclaiming the gospel."

   NLCCA General Secretary Lin added, "My church has already
modeled much of our practice on PCT models.  Our ministerial
retirement system is a copy of yours." He cited the ways by which
the PCT has passed through suffering to emerge a strong mission
church, and said that the NLCCA has much to learn from this
example.
   Moderator Hwang Mei-chu said that her own uncle, at the age of
57, had come to Christian faith and was baptized at Shuang Lien
Presbyterian Church in Taipei.	  He devoted all of his resources
to ministry. He hoped before he died to help in the establishment
of 9 churches. The result was greater.	By the time of his
passing at the age of 89, 11 had begun.  She was confident that
the zealous spirit of the NLCCA could benefit the PCT.
   The partners to the agreement pledge to share mission
resources and exchange visits at their regularly scheduled
Assembly meetings.  Ministerial candidates from the NLCCA will be
admitted to PCT theological colleges and NLCCA ministers will be
welcome to serve in PCT churches.

For more information: execute@ms2.pct.org.tw