From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Task Force Refines Strategy for Lutheran Evangelism

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:25:53 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 16, 2002

TASK FORCE REFINES STRATEGY FOR LUTHERAN EVANGELISM
02-222-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- A task force of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) met here Sept. 5-8 to refine a draft document of a
comprehensive strategy on evangelism for the church.
     Members of the task force spent the first day of the meeting
reading and editing the document.  They shared some first impressions of
the draft with one another and engaged in "roundtable" discussions.  On
the next day, they presented the document to more than 200 Lutheran
Christian educators, evangelism practitioners, missiologists and others
from across the country.
     "We're seeking input from a variety of partners, receiving
feedback from people in the field who are doing outstanding work.  We
want to incorporate their thoughts and prayers in the process of
developing an evangelism strategy for the church.  Together we'll work
to shape the draft," said the Rev. Gary M. Wollersheim, bishop of the
ELCA Northern Illinois Synod, Rockford.  Wollersheim is chair of the
task force.
     The meeting "is the single chance we will have to shape the
document together before our presentation to the church" next year, the
Rev. Carmala J. Aderman, assistant to the bishop, ELCA Northwest
Wisconsin Synod, Rice Lake, Wis., told participants.  Aderman introduced
the evangelism strategy draft document and guided the roundtable
discussions.
     The meeting here marked the second full meeting of the task force;
it first met in April 2002.  The ELCA Division for Congregational
Ministries (DCM) assembled the 33-member task force on evangelism to
develop the strategy for presentation and possible action at the 2003
ELCA Churchwide Assembly, August 11-17, in Milwaukee.  About 20 staff
members of the ELCA and a half-dozen consultants assisted the task
force.
     The work of the task force involves facilitating a "renewed focus"
on prayer for the witness and evangelism ministries of the ELCA;
inviting members of the church to study the place of the gospel in daily
lives; receiving gifts from the church's companions around the world;
and an awareness of previous ELCA research on evangelism.  The task
force receives input from DCM, especially the division's education and
evangelism team, and from the ELCA Office of the Presiding Bishop.
     In a greeting to participants on Sept. 6, the Rev. Mark S. Hanson,
presiding bishop of the ELCA, expressed gratitude for their work.
     "I have a passion for your work.  You are not just about
developing a strategy, but changing the culture of this church," Hanson
said.  The church has "accommodated itself to society" by "privatizing
faith."  He challenged the group "not to keep the faith to themselves
but to share it ... for the sake of the world."
     Hanson has engaged the church in a strategic planning process
leading up to the 2003 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.  He told participants
that the evangelism strategy will become an "integral part of the agenda
of the church."
     "A strategy on evangelism is vital for the ELCA.  There are so
many people disengaged, who have somehow disconnected with their faith,
especially from faith in Jesus Christ," said the Rev. Brent W. Dahlseng,
director for the evangelism strategy, DCM.
     "Our church is declining while the population of people in the
United States is growing.  The number of people unchurched in the
country is widening," Dahlseng said.  "The evangelism strategy will
serve to reach the hearts of our own people.  Once they're touched, the
faith connection makes sense and they will be open to touching the
hearts of others, doing simple evangelism in their own community."
     Participants opened and closed each day with prayer.  A prayer
team was gathered in March 2002 to begin praying for the task force and
the evangelism strategy process, Dahlseng said.
     "Prayer is essential in life, ministry and evangelism.  Part of
this prayer emphasis has been focused on intercession for spiritual
renewal and awakening in this church.  Many prayer groups from
congregations and campus ministries have joined this prayer effort," he
said.  Dahlseng also serves as associate director for prayer ministries,
Division for Congregational Ministries.
     The DCM board will receive the final draft of the evangelism
strategy at its meeting here Oct. 11-13.  It will consider forwarding
the document to the ELCA Church Council -- the ELCA's board of directors
and the legislative authority of the church between its churchwide
assemblies.  The council will meet here Nov. 15-18.

For information contact: