From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Oslo church offers safe harbor to young people

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:12:35 -0500

Sept. 17, 2002 News media contact: Kathy Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.   10-71B{415}

NOTE: This report may be used as a sidebar to UMNS story #414.

OSLO, Norway (UMNS) - During the last two years, thousands have entered the
open doors of the First United Methodist Church in Oslo to "sit, write, pray
or just to talk," says Judith Osborne, program director at the church.

First United Methodist Church is the home of the first Methodist
congregation in Oslo, established in 1865. The building is "the oldest of
the free churches in Oslo, built in 1874," says the Rev. Terje Nilsen,
pastor of the church.

 From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 to 11 on Thursday
ages 18-35, Osborne says.
in Oslo, so many take advantage of the safe harbor, especially young people
evenings, the church opens its door to the community. It is on a busy street

"We call it preventative outreach - it is something we can do," she said.
"Many are just longing for conversation."

Osborne says the youth are looking for someone to listen to their concerns
about the world without judging them. Often they feel out of touch with "the
religious vocabulary" of a church and want to find their own faith. "They
want to believe in goodness," she says.

At First United Methodist, all they offer is an open ear and open heart.

"We first tried offering food, but all the people really want is food for
their souls. We focus on their souls, not on their minds or physical needs,"
Osborne says.

Osborne is a deacon and social worker as well as program director at the
church. Nilsen says the congregation has about 200 members.
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org