From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: News Briefs

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:50:12 -0400

September 18, 2002

2002-216

Episcopalians: News Briefs

Nashville coalition demonstrates against Iraq war

(ENS) A Nashville coalition against war with Iraq, organized by
a retired Episcopal priest, demonstrated September 17 at the
Nashville Convention Center at an appearance by President George
W. Bush.

About 200 antiwar protestors marched with umbrellas and signs
as Bush's motorcade pulled into the service entrance across from
the Grand Ole Opry.

The Rev. Ed Landers, a retired Episcopal priest who formerly
headed the 60-congregation Covenant Association for Metropolitan
Community Relations in Nashville, said the group "is a broad
representation of citizens, from all faith groups" and many
local campuses.

"We put this together with e-mail and one-to-one
communications," he said.

Landers said the purpose of the group is to remind the Bush
administration that "war-making is not unilateral but the
concern of the Congress and our allies...We need to sustain
communications with the Islamic world."

Naomi Tutu of Fisk University's Race Relations Institute,
daughter of South African archbishop emeritus Desmond Tutu,
addressed the crowd. "I am a citizen of this country and also a
citizen of the world," she said. "It is our responsibility to
pass on a better world to those who come after us."

A group who identified themselves as refugee Iraqis showed up
with large signs reading "Iraqis Support President Bush To
Extract Saddam" and "Saddam is a Virus, Bush is the Cure."

Episcopalian signs op-ed warning against war in Iraq

(ENS) The Rev. George Regas, rector emeritus of All Saints
Church in Pasadena, California, has signed an op-ed piece in the
September 16 Los Angeles Times warning against the high costs of
a possible war against Iraq.

In the commentary, "Men of God, Warriors for Peace, Enemies
of War," Regas joined Jewish, Muslim and Christian leaders who
were founding members of the Interfaith Communities United for
Justice and Peace. It was formed in the wake of the September 11
terrorist attacks to "disavow the path that affirms that grief
must lead to war."

The leaders said that their religious traditions "must not
bless war," certainly not supporting what they termed the lie of
a "just war" against Iraq. They warned that the costs of such a
war for the American and Iraqi people, and the "tarnishing" of
the U.S. reputation, would lead to "an intensification of hatred
in the Middle East toward the U.S. and the West." They called
religion's embrace of nationalism and sanctioning of war
"heresy."

Instead, they said that their religious traditions called on
them "to be peacemakers, to do good to those who hate us, to
abide by the peace of God/the Ultimate." Their religions "all
celebrate the sacredness of human life and charge us to build a
just, peaceful and equitable world" and to "celebrate the power
of love to vanquish hate and the power of mercy to overcome
vengeance."

The commentary concluded, "We mourn the loss of life
resulting from the attacks of September 11, but we do not ask
that more blood be shed. Our mourning is a peaceful mourning and
is not a podium to call for a war of vengeance against Iraqis."

New York Episcopalians held rebuild a mosque in Afghanistan
bombed by U.S. troops

(National Catholic Reporter) Episcopalians from the Diocese of
New York, many of them personally affected by the terrorist
attacks of September 11, are helping to rebuild a mosque in
Afghanistan that was bombed by U.S. troops last fall, raising
more than half the funds needed for reconstruction.

The idea for rebuilding originated with New York bishop Mark
S. Sisk when "he heard that a mosque had been bombed in the
Kabul area," according to the Rev. Stephen Holtan from Ossining.
"It was on the news for about a day and he was interested in a
ground zero to ground zero exchange." Sisk has made
Christian-Muslim dialogue a central theme in his first year as
diocesan bishop. "I believe that it is our duty as Christian
leaders, witnesses to the promises of the living Lord, to take
initiatives that can bind up the wounds of the human community,"
he said in his convention address last June.

Muslim leaders were surprised by the offer. Holton, a
founding member of the Episcopal-Muslim Relations Committee,
went to Afghanistan as part of an interfaith delegation that met
with Muslim elders in the ruined mosque. By the end of the
visit, they had settled on a contractor, come up with a building
plan and chosen a local employee of an international relief
agency to supervise the project. The people of the village
believe that it is "kind of a miracle that a Christian, someone
from another religion, came to their country and showed respect
for their religion," said Imam Mohammad Sherzad, president of
the Afghan Forum for Peace and Rehabilitation. He pointed to the
paradox of a mosque destroyed by the Islamic Taliban and rebuilt
by Christians.

Holton said that he told the Afghans that "as Christians we
believe in unconditional love. And what love could be more
unconditional than building a house of worship for another
people that we as Christians could not possible use?"

Nigerian Christians and Muslims pray for peace on anniversary of
riots

(ENI) On the anniversary of bloody religious conflicts between
Christians and Muslims in the central Nigerian state of Plateau,
a week-long program of prayer and fasting brought together
people from both religions. The riots left more than 5,000
people dead, destroyed about 100 villages and forced 500,000 to
flee their homes.

At Christ Church Cathedral, in the capital city of Jos,
Governor Joshua Dariye assured residents that the government was
doing everything possible to bring an end to the hardships
resulting from the conflict. "We shall come out of this crisis
stronger and more united," he said. He appealed for a return of
those who had fled, asking them to "join us in rebuilding our
state." He urged people to "remain prayerful, to rely on God for
a solution to this conflict."

Christians account for about 80 percent of the state's
population, with Muslims the other 20 percent. Violence was
spurred when some state governments in northern Nigeria
introduced strict Islamic law, calling for punishments such as
stoning, amputations and floggings for some offenses. The
religious legal code has been implemented in 12 states where
many violent clashes have been reported. Religious leaders
recently convened an inter-religious peace summit to discuss
ways to promote peaceful coexistence.

 Bells destroyed by communism return to holiest site in
Russian Church

(ENI) In an emotional ceremony televised across Russia, two
colossal bells were hoisted to the belfry of the Holy Trinity
St. Sergius Monastery outside of Moscow, the holiest site in the
Russian Orthodox Church.

"In this we see historical justice," said Patriarch Alexy II
of Moscow and All Russia after a September 4 prayer service,
minutes before a huge crane lifted the first bell into the place
occupied by its predecessor 72 years ago. "We are recreating
what was barbarically destroyed." Although originating in
Western Christianity, bells have been a powerful symbol for
Russian believers. The Bolshevik destruction of church bells has
remained one of the most symbolic acts of Soviet atheism for
many church members--and the raising of new bells has emerged as
an equally powerful symbol of spiritual revival.

The two bells are the largest produced in Russia for 200
years--weighing 27 tons and 35.5 tons. They have been named
Pervenets (Firstborn) and Blagovestnik (Evangelist). The
challenge now is the raising of the third bell, the 64-ton Tsar,
larger and more expensive. The church hopes to cast and raise
the bell next year, if funds can be found.

Sergei Demidov, chief architect at the monastery, recalled
searching through abandoned churches in rural Russia in the
1980s, looking for bells for Moscow's Danilovsky Monastery, the
first church returned by the Soviet government. "At the time we
never would have dreamed that bell-making would be reborn in
Russia so fast," he said.

Evangelicals lead growth in America's church attendance

(ENS) A new study has revealed that evangelical and charismatic
churches led church growth and attendance in the 1990s as
mainline Protestant denominations struggled with continuing
losses.

"Religious Congregations and Membership: 2000," compiled by a
broad group of religious bodies, revealed that Catholics,
Mormons and the Assemblies of God reported double-digit growth
rates. For the first time, the study made an attempt to estimate
the number of Muslims in the U.S., reporting a total of 1.6
million, a figure rejected by many Islamic groups that claim the
actual number is four times larger. The American Muslim Council
says that there are 7 million Muslims in the country, based on a
study last year by a coalition of Islamic groups.

The Muslim count was the most controversial feature of the
report. Mosques typically don't keep membership rolls, so the
estimate was based on reports from about a third of the
country's 1,209 mosques and the results were carefully compared
with statistics on immigration and conversion rates to Islam. A
study last year by the Graduate Center of the City University of
New York said there were 1.1 million Muslims--not including
children--and the American Jewish Committee has estimated 2.8
million.

While the Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant
denomination in the country, did not grow at the same rate as
the population, mainline Protestant churches lost more members
and watched the average age of their members rise. Very few of
them benefited from immigration that helped Roman Catholics and
Pentecostals.

"The churches that are demanding in some way--that expect you
to come two or three times a week, or not wear lipstick, or
dress in a certain way--but at the same time offer you great
rewards--community, a salvation that is exclusive of other
faiths--those are the churches that are growing," said Kenneth
Sanchagrin, director of the Glenmary Center. That's why the
Mormons were the fastest-growing church in the nation, he
pointed out.

The study, conducted every decade, was compiled by 149
denominations and research groups and published by the
Atlanta-based Glenmary Research Center. It is based on
information provided by the denominations.

------