From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Presiding bishop reflects on changing role of clergy

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:13:52 -0400

September 19, 2002

2002-217

Episcopalians: Presiding bishop reflects on changing role of
clergy

by Neva Rae Fox

(ENS) The Episcopal Church's chief pastor, Presiding Bishop
Frank Griswold, used the occasion of the September 12 Hobart
Lecture at the Diocese of New York's Synod House to explore the
challenges facing clergy--especially in light of the terrorist
attacks of September 11 last year.

"Looking back a year ago, I think we were all overwhelmed by
the numbers of people who just poured in the moment the doors
were opened, they just needed to be there," he recalled in the
meeting. "Part of what was happening was, corporately, we were
being stripped--taken to that place of profound vulnerability
and nakedness." He said that he didn't think "people really
expected to find answers in the churches and places of worship.
But what was being revealed to people was their capacity for
God, possibly in an unnamed way, but nonetheless there it was."

Griswold said that he wanted "to explore, not so much your
delivering of pastoral care, but rather some of the elements
that go into creating pastors, so that they can then respond
gracefully to the demands that are made upon them in regard to
pastoral ministry."

He cautioned the clergy against taking the easy road, or
becoming complacent in ministry. "It is all too easy for us to
become technicians of the sacred," he warned. "When we become
technicians of the sacred we lose a living relationship to the
sacraments."

Open to expectation

The presiding bishop invited the clergy always to "enter into
liturgy on the tip-toe of expectation" because "you never know
how God is going to take these stereotypical elements or even
some of the ceremonial complexities and turn them around in ways
that indeed manifest Christic presence, but not in ways you're
accustomed to."

Griswold emphasized the role of prayer in the lives of
clergy. "The quality of our own prayer is so integral to our
pastoring. It is something that we can so easily set aside in
favor of the various external needs that present themselves. We
can be very sort of Ignatian and apostolic and talk about
finding God in all things--which is, of course, true. But, I
really do think we have to, as Thomas Merton once said, 'waste
time conscientiously with God.' That's a wonderful way of
describing prayer because so often people think of prayer as
another thing to achieve or to do--and particularly in our
society."

Quoting a Benedictine monk who once observed, "Prayer is an
opening to love on every level of our being," Griswold said that
"our prayer is not an achievement, it is a stance of
availability before the mystery of God. Prayer transforms our
consciousness," working in us over time.

He concluded, "There are times when we are profoundly free,
and there are other times when we are profoundly bound. Playing
with this double dynamic in terms of our own lives can help us
to be discerning as we move through active ministry."

Griswold seated on international cathedra

In an Eucharist which preceded the lecture, Griswold was
seated on the International Cathedra of the Cathedral Church of
St. John the Divine by Bishop Mark Sisk, a tradition started in
1989 to honor primates and religious leaders.

After the ceremony, Griswold said that "while the presiding
bishop properly belongs to the whole church, the fact that our
corporate offices are in New York and that I live here makes it
a particular joy that I have been seated on the international
cathedra... It gives me a deep sense of being part of this
vibrant and diverse community of faith."

The lecture series is named for Bishop John Henry Hobart, the
third bishop of New York (1816 to 1830), remembered for his
dedication, especially in pastoral ministry. During his
episcopacy, Hobart increased the number of clergy in the diocese
and established missions and churches into the far reaches of
New York State. His commitment to education is evident as he was
one of the founders of General Theological Seminary and was the
reviver of Geneva College, now Hobart College.

------

--Neva Rae Fox is director of communications for the Diocese of
New York.