From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS - Campaign targets recruitment, retention of church workers

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:40:29 -0700

The Lutheran Church -- Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services

LCMSNews -- No. 61
September 13, 2002

Campaign targets recruitment,
retention of church workers

"What A Way," a new Synodwide campaign to boost recruitment and retention
of professional church workers, officially gets under way next year.

A kickoff-celebration event set for March 13-15 in St. Louis will involve
teams of district presidents and three others from each district, along
with representatives of various departments at the Synod's International
Center that support the effort.

Formerly known as "Serving with Joy," the "What A Way" campaign is funded
from $250,000 allocated by the Synod's Board of Directors.  It was the only
project to receive new funding in a Synod budget that reflects $9.1 million
in cuts.

Synod President Gerald Kieschnick will head the initiative, and Dr. L. Dean
Hempelmann, director of pastoral education with the Board for Higher
Education, chairs the working group that is setting the course for the
initiative's work. Members of the group, besides Kieschnick and Hempelmann,
are Dr. Bruce Hartung, director of LCMS Health Ministries and executive
director of the Commission on Ministerial Growth and Support; and David
Gehne, who represents Concordia Publishing House and is a student at
Concordia Seminary, St. Louis.

The working group is taking over the reins from a recruitment and retention
action group that ended its work last April.

"Our new recruitment and retention initiative, `What A Way,' is meant to
help us in the LCMS rebuild a lifestyle in our homes and congregations of
encouraging people to serve the Lord as church workers and to remain
steadfast in their high calling," Kieschnick said. "We want very much and
need the support of members of LCMS congregations as we move full steam
ahead."

In an address at last year's Synod convention, Kieschnick noted that in
recent years, the Synod has lost 1,500 more pastors and 3,000 more teachers
than have been gained.

Hempelmann said that "What A Way" will "center around new materials and
programs that will be developed to help us be about rebuilding a lifestyle
of recruitment and retention in our church."

He indicated that 12 Synod departments are on board so far to support the
initiative.

Hempelmann said the working group has identified a number of needs that the
"What A Way" initiative will address.

"At a time when the Synod has a short supply of workers, we need gifted
workers who see their vocation as a high calling and who can guide people
to a full and challenging spiritual life," he said.

He spoke of the need for "change in the culture and lifestyle of our church
that will help identify and enlist workers and nurture them in their
calling.  A wholistic and healthy lifestyle of recruitment and retention
has eroded over the last 50-plus years, but it can be rescued and rebuilt.

"We need to build a base of `best practices' for supporting church
workers," Hempelmann said, adding that congregations and districts that
have developed ways to actively support their church workers and those
workers' families will be "held up as models" for others.

"This is a significant initiative that deserves our very best efforts,"
Hempelmann said.

LCMSNews is published by the News and Information Division, Board for
Communication Services, of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.  Please
note that subscribers to LCMSNews will not be able to reach anyone by
hitting the "Reply" button when viewing an LCMSNews release. Such replies
will be deleted. However, if you have questions or comments about this
LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower Jr. via e-mail at
joe.isenhower@lcms.org, or by phone at (314) 996-1231.

To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your e-mail address for LCMSNews,
go to the following Web address: