From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Sexuality Studies Task Force to Meet with Consultants

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:37:42 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 25, 2002

ELCA SEXUALITY STUDIES TASK FORCE TO MEET WITH CONSULTANTS
02-228-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA)   The task force for the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) Studies on Sexuality met here Sept. 13-15
and scheduled consultations with representatives of the gay and
lesbian community within the ELCA and with pastors and others who
want to maintain current ELCA ordination policies.  The consultations
are planned for the task force's next meeting here Feb. 7-9.
     "We're going to ask a number of questions for them to address
in writing prior to the meeting with us, so that we can make the most
of our time interacting with one another, hearing what they have to
say to us and profiting from that exchange," said the Rev. James M.
Childs Jr., director for ELCA Studies on Sexuality, in an interview.
     Childs and the task force were appointed this year to fulfill
mandates of the 2001 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, which met in
Indianapolis.  The assembly asked the ELCA Division for Ministry and
ELCA Division for Church in Society to lead a comprehensive four-year
study of homosexuality.  They asked that the study address topics
that include the possible ordination of people who are gay and
lesbian and living in committed relationships, and asked for study of
blessings of same-sex relationships.  Presently, ELCA policy requires
ordained ministers to refrain from homosexual sexual relationships.
There is no official policy on blessings of same-sex relationships,
though the ELCA Conference of Bishops has advised the church that it
does not approve of such ceremonies.
     The 2001 assembly called for a progress report to the 2003
Churchwide Assembly and for a final report with recommendations at
the 2005 Churchwide Assembly. The assembly also asked the Division
for Church in Society to prepare a social statement on human
sexuality.
     Task force members, meeting for the second time since being
appointed, laid out a series of plans for the next several months,
articulating ideas for a process and suggesting goals for their work.
The meeting was also a time for members to become better acquainted.
     In addition to the February consultations, the task force
scheduled meetings with diverse groups of theologians and a panel of
social and behavioral scientists at their meeting planned for April.
     Much of the September meeting was spent in discussions of
previously published materials and papers produced by task force
members.  They discussed Lutheran approaches to interpreting
scripture; private papers written by task force members in which they
attempted to articulate various arguments related to blessings of
same-sex relationships and ordination of people who are gay and
lesbian in committed relationships; two books, "The Church and
Homosexuality: Searching for a Middle Ground" by Merton Strommen and
"Married in the Sight of God" by Christian Scharen; study methods;
points of view to be presented in the consultations; goals for the
studies; and correspondence and resolutions from ELCA synod
assemblies.
     In addition to the consultations, the task force was informed
of progress of a book commissioned by the eight ELCA seminary
presidents through the ELCA Division for Ministry. The book,
tentatively titled "Faithful Conversation: Christian Perspectives on
Homosexuality," is scheduled for publication in 2003, Childs said.
     An initial draft of study materials developed by the director
and the task force is to be presented to the church for review and
comment in the fall of 2003, Childs said.  The materials will not
include recommendations that will be presented to the 2005 assembly,
he said.
     Two new members were welcomed to the 14-member task force:
Connie Thomas, South Holland, Ill., and Susan S. Salamone, Syracuse,
N.Y.  One task force member appointed previously, Dr. Nancy W.
Walker, Charlotte, N.C., resigned after the first meeting.
     "I'm very impressed with the courage and dedication the people
on the task force have brought to this," said the Rev. Margaret G.
Payne, bishop of the ELCA New England Synod and task force chair, in
an interview.  "All the opinions that you find across the church are
represented on this task force." Payne said the task force members
are committed to be in conversation with one another and "to find a
way that God wants us to move through this time together around this
issue."
     During the meeting, Childs addressed a common concern that he
said he hears in many conversations with people: that the composition
of the task force is "stacked" in the direction of  changes in
policy.
     "I have said in no uncertain terms that this task force is
diverse," Childs told the group.  "I have confidence in the task
force.	I have refused to characterize the members of the task force
in any way.  I have lifted up your integrity individually and
corporately."  Childs and Payne also emphasized during the meeting
that the outcome of the task force's work is unknown.
     Task force members agreed to proceed in their work by
consensus.  Some members said in the end, the studies and
recommendations may point in a different direction than anyone has
suggested to date.
     "There may be a way to come up with something that's a surprise
to us all," said the Rev. Timothy Wengert, Lutheran Theological
Seminary at Philadelphia, a member of the task force.
     "God is going to work through the Holy Spirit for us," said Dr.
John Prabhakar, task force member from Rochelle, Ill.  "In the end,
we may have something surprising, and people are going to say, 'Only
God could have done this.'  That's what I'm praying for."
     "If there's any way we can project hopefuleness and speak about
the Holy Spirit, that's something we ought to be speaking about,"
added the Rev. Lucy Kolin, task force member from Oakland, Calif.
     Task force members listed basic areas of concern they will
consider in drafting the studies and recommendations.  They are: a
biblical witness and how Lutherans read the Bible; Lutheran
traditions, including the history of Lutheran decisions related to
homosexuality; the witness of the whole Christian tradition; the
witness of experience and the work of the Spirit; moral deliberation
in dialogue with the ecumenical context and global Lutheranism; and
the context for social and behavioral sciences.
     A series of goals for the studies were listed by task force
members.  They are: successfully discussing a difficult issue without
further dividing groups of people; acquainting the church with gay
and lesbian communities; having a process that leads to an honest and
faithful outcome; that the church would be more aware of the
continuing presence of the Holy Spirit; reaching out to all
generations of people within the church; growing in understanding and
appreciation of each other; being a voice to the world on issues
involving gay and lesbian people in the church; finding common ground
where possible; and building trust and confidence in the ELCA
churchwide organization.
     Dr. Diane M. Yeager, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.,
and task force member, suggested one goal might be for the task force
to get through its work without making things worse.
     "If we drove more gay and lesbian people out of the church,
that would be a bad outcome," she said.  "If congregations left, that
would be a bad outcome.  If Lutherans felt alienated from the
Lutheran Church as a result of this study, I think that would be
tragic."
     Childs is meeting with a number of groups throughout the church
about the studies, and he will be a presenter at many significant
meetings within the ELCA in future months.
     Communication of the progress of the studies is essential, he
said.  For example, Childs recently wrote a summary of the task
force's work to date and sent it to ELCA communicators throughout the
church.
     "All of us involved in this process are committed to maximum
communication of what's going on, and to encouraging maximum
participation on the part of persons in the church," Childs said.
"We really hope, when it's all over, that people will say this was
our study and we had the opportunity to be engaged and to grow."
-- -- --
     Information about the ELCA Studies on Sexuality can be found at
http://www.elca.org/faithfuljourney on the Web.

For information contact: