From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC India condemns the terrorist attack on Swaminarayanan Temple

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:07:25 -0700

New Delhi Office :

National Council of Churches in India

2744, Ranjit Nagar, Opp. South Patel Nagar

New Delhi 110 008

Tel. & Fax :  011-5891263

E-Mail	     :	nccidel@bol.net.in

PRESS RELEASE

The National Council of Churches in India (NCCI) condemns the terrorist
attack on Swaminarayanan Temple in Gandhinagar. An attack on any worship
place belonging to any religion is a sacrilege and disrespect to God and
spirituality. The churches in India share the pain of all those who lost
their dear ones in the attack. We are encouraged to see that in this
situation of crisis several of our national leaders, irrespective of party
affiliations, have condemned the ghastly attack and called for peace and
harmony.

The Council earnestly requests all political and religious leaders to
abstain from rhetorics which would result in the repetition of Godhra. The
Council calls upon the churches in Gujarat and all over India to pray for
peace together with people of all faiths. Members of the Church in India,
30 million people, will fully support the secular nature of our country as
loyal citizens.

The Council requests the Government to take all measures to stop terrorism,
both from outside and inside the country, and restore peace and harmony
which only can sustain our beloved country.

Ipe Joseph (Rev. Dr.)

General Secretary

National Council of Churches in India

September 25, 2002