From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishop May urges senators to be peacemakers

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:37:50 -0500

Sept. 26, 2003 News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-21-71BP{431}

NOTE: A head-and-shoulders photograph of Bishop Felton May can be found at
http://umns.umc.org/photos/headshots.html.

By United Methodist News Service

United Methodist Bishop Felton Edwin May has sent a letter to 15 U.S.
senators urging them to explore "every opportunity for peacemaking" as the
Bush administration considers military action against Iraq.

The letter was sent Sept. 20 to senators who are identified as United
Methodists, as well as one who has converted to Catholicism recently. May is
leader of the United Methodist Church's Baltimore-Washington Conference.

"In recent days, as the talk of war and rumors of war continue to escalate,
I have searched our holy Scriptures and have spent considerable time in
prayer regarding the emerging position of the United States government and
Iraq," May wrote.

President Bush is considering military action in response to Iraq reportedly
amassing weapons of mass destruction.

"The Scriptures clearly reveal that the teaching of Jesus is strongly
directed toward peace and peacemaking," May said. He cited verses commanding
that "the enemy is to be met with love and acts of kindness rather than hate
and violence. ... In our calling to be reconciled to God in Christ,
Christians are thereby called into reconciliation with our neighbors and
hence making peace.

"We therefore conclude that it would be theologically, ethically, and
morally inappropriate for the nation under God to take direct military
action against Iraq at this time in history," he wrote. "We will have
nothing to lose by giving the United Nations (weapons) inspectors an
opportunity to report their findings. Only as a last option should we move
ahead militarily.

"I urge you to gird yourself in prayer, study, and reflection and then to
exert holy and bold leadership to help shape a national policy that is
committed to exploring every opportunity for peacemaking."

The letter was sent to Sens. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M.; Max Cleland, D-Ga.;
Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y.; Larry Craig, R-Idaho; John Edwards, D-N.C.;
Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii; Richard Lugar, R-Ind.; Zell Miller, D-Ga.; Ben
Nelson, D-Neb.; Pat Roberts, R-Kan.; Jeff Sessions, R-Ala.; Debbie Stabenow,
D-Mich.; Craig Thomas, R-Wyo.; and Robert Torricelli, D-N.J. It also was
sent to Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., who joined the Catholic Church last
summer.

Meanwhile, the denomination's Board of Church and Society in Washington has
created a section on its Web site for people to advocate on a number of
public policy issues, including registering opposition to military action
against Iraq. The site offers talking points based on church and board
resolutions, and it provides easy access to leaders in the administration,
members of Congress, state legislators and media outlets.  The page can be
found by clicking on the words "UMPower" at www.umc-gbcs.org.

Only the denomination's top legislative assembly speaks for the whole
church, but it hasn't met since 2000 and won't convene again until 2004.
Between General Conference gatherings, the Board of Church and Society and
other agencies carry out the work of the denomination.

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org