From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

South Asian Council of Churches Statement on Idare-e Amin-o-Insaf

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:18:59 -0700

murders

SOUTH ASIAN COUNCIL OF CHURCHES (SACC)

PRESS RELEASE

On Wednesday, 25th September two gunmen charged into the Office of Idare-e
Amin-o-Insaf, an organization for peace and justice (a Christian NGO), roped
seven people inside the room, taped their mouths and shot them straight at
their heads. The dead bodies were found lying on the chairs. Two other
people were severely wounded. This act of terror has shocked the Christian
communities in South Asia. This is another blood-stained event in the
continuing atrocities against minorities in South Asia.

On behalf of the South Asian Council of Churches, that is the National
Councils of Churches in Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, we
stand in solidarity with the Christians in Pakistan and also with the
National Council of Churches in Pakistan in this hour of crisis. We share
the pain and sorrow of our brothers and sisters who lost their dear ones in
this brutal attack.

This again brings to our urgent attention the need of a pro-active approach
towards overcoming violence. We need to take all possible steps to bring
about harmony and peace in South Asia. Majorities and minorities need to
work together to overcome violence of all forms. The churches and NCCs are
called upon to take the initiative in this matter. The struggle will be hard
and long, but the survival of the world community will depend mainly on such
initiatives.

On behalf of the South Asian Council of Churches,

Dr. S.M Chowdhury , Coordintor, SACC, NCC Bangladesh
Rev. Dr. Ipe Joseph, Coordinator, SACC,   NCC, India
Rev.Ebenezer Joseph, NCC Sri Lanka
Mr. Subodh Adhikari, NCC Bangladesh
Mr. Victor Azariah, NCC Pakistan
Mr. K.B. Rokaya, NCC Nepal