From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Principal Named 2002 Distinguished Principal

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:44:57 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 30, 2002

ELCA PRINCIPAL NAMED 2002 DISTINGUISHED PRINCIPAL
02-232-DM*

      CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The principal of Laurel Hall School in North
Hollywood, Calif., Kathleen Haworth, has been named National
Distinguished Principal for 2002 by the National Association of
Elementary Schools Principals (NAESP) and the U.S. Department of
Education. She will be honored at an awards banquet Oct. 10-11 in
Washington, D.C.
       Laurel Hall School is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA).
       "Equipping each student with strong academic skills has been
the primary goal of each school I have served," said Haworth on her
nomination form. "I feel that I have been a positive role model to
all the school communities I have served. I take pride in the
fact that in each setting, I have been able to clearly assess the
needs and understand the uniqueness of each educational setting."
       "The award for Haworth marks the third year in a row that an
ELCA school principal has received this prestigious award," said
Robert Federwitz, director for schools, ELCA Division for Higher
Education and Schools (DHES), Chicago. "It is also interesting that
all three have been from Southern California, specifically from the
Southwest California Synod -- the synod with the most schools."
      Haworth has been principal for Laurel Hall School since 1997.