From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Africa AIDS envoy paints gloomy picture for House of Bishops

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:36:18 -0400

October 1, 2002

2002-224

Episcopalians: Africa AIDS envoy paints gloomy picture for
House of Bishops

by James Solheim

(ENS) "The AIDS pandemic is still in its infancy," warned
Stephen Lewis, special envoy for the secretary general of the
United Nations in Africa, in a speech at the Cleveland meeting
of the House of Bishops on October 1. "And it could spread
rapidly to other places on the globe."

Describing his first year in his position, the former
Canadian ambassador to the UN admitted that it has been
"emotionally difficult" to encounter the "specter of death that
haunts the African continent."

"There are no words to convey the human devastation on the
continent," he told the bishops, who explored the theme of
reconciliation at their interim meeting September 26-October 1.
Lewis described a recent visit to Namibia where one of the
growth industries is making small coffins for the many children
who are dying. "One of the chief weekend activities is going to
funerals," he said, "but now they are also happening during the
week."

Initial estimates on the extent of the pandemic were not
adequate, even in countries where the infection rate has already
reached 30 or 35 percent of the population, he reported. "And
now India, China and parts of central Asia face a similar
future," he said. "It is also clear that this pandemic
increasingly has a woman's face," he added, offering a numbing
set of statistics to indicate the extent of the destruction of
the future among younger and younger women.

A fight for survival

"Gender inequality is lethal, a death sentence, when you are
dealing with AIDS in Africa," Lewis said. "African leaders are
now openly talking about a fight for survival." He also warned
that by 2010 there will be at least 25 million orphans wandering
the landscape, many of them depending on grandmothers to keep
them alive.

Food is a huge problem with no one to plant and tend crops.
"We are moving from catastrophe to cataclysm because there is no
one left to grow food. We are losing the agricultural
workforce," Lewis said. The educational system is being
devastated as children and teachers disappear, he noted.

UN Secretary General Kofi Anan has proposed a global fund to
fight AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis and "the church has a
significant role to play," Lewis argued. "In Africa the church
is the only institution that reaches everyone on the
continent--every single week."

Yet the response of the international community has been slow
and insufficient, Lewis said. "We can't seem to generate passion
around the AIDS issue. We are moving from inertia to paralysis."

Racism is a factor

strong and powerful element" in the crisis, "there's just no
other way to explain the response." He said that he is
"sustained by rage, finding it impossible to understand why we
allow millions to die needlessly because we can't find the
resources to fight the pandemic." He added that he is
"bewildered and completely baffled" by the failure of the
women's movement and human rights movement around the world to
respond.

"Yet I'm not without hope," he added. "We know how to fight
the disease and, despite problems with the infrastructure, we
have been able to provide health care in many areas." He pointed
to the recent success in alleviating the crippling debt carried
by most nations in the developing world as a model. When asked
whether the divestment campaign in South Africa that was used to
fight apartheid might also offer a model, he said, "Never
underestimate the power of the church when it is unleashed."

The bishops responded by adopting unanimously a Statement of
Solidarity with the HIV/AIDS Initiative of the Council of
Anglican Provinces in Africa (CAPA). "We renew the encouragement
previously expressed by the House and by the General Convention
that the parishes, dioceses and church-wide bodies do all in
their power to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS and to offer
prayer and the compassionate ministry of Christ to all
affected," the statement said.

The statement also expressed solidarity with CAPA's vision of
"a generation without AIDS" and with its insistence that "debt
cancellation in Africa is essential to addressing the pandemic
on that continent."

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.