From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: House of Bishops addresses possibility of war with Iraq

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:26:57 -0400

October 2, 2002

2002-225

Episcopalians: House of Bishops addresses possibility of war
with Iraq

By James Solheim

(ENS) The possibility of war with Iraq was very much on the
minds of bishops as they gathered in Cleveland for their interim
meeting on the theme of reconciliation. In the closing minutes
of the meeting on October 1, they unanimously endorsed a strong
statement that will be sent to all members of Congress as the
Senate begins debate on a resolution authorizing the president
to use military force if Iraq doesn't submit to inspections.

"We deeply respect the seriousness of your responsibility to
protect the lives of our citizens and, with you, we condemn the
brutality of Saddam Hussein and his regime," the letter said. It
quickly added, "Our faith requires us to strive always for
justice and peace. We believe that restraint and the on-going
commitment to international cooperation are the means toward
peace that we all desire."

In arguing that "we do not believe that war with Iraq can be
justified at this time," the letter pointed out that Iraq has
not attacked the United States, "our nation has not exhausted
all possibilities for a peaceful solution" nor has it
"sufficiently garnered world support." The statement also
stressed the "unintended consequences" of war, including
"unacceptable civilian casualties."

The letter concluded that the bishops "do not support a
decision to go to war without clear and convincing evidence of
the need for us to defend ourselves against an imminent attack."

Costly work of reconciliation

In his sermon at Trinity Cathedral on Sunday, Presiding
Bishop Frank T. Griswold said that the possibility of war raises
deep questions of "what it means to be peacemakers, living as a
reconciled community. How does shalom become the truth of
what we are--and shall be?"

He said that "as a nation we are accustomed to waging war,"
and facing that possibility with Iraq it is important to ask,
"How are we as a nation called to be an agent of reconciliation?
As persons of faith we are called to wage reconciliation.to
bring people to the deep place of shalom, that true peace
that flows like a river from the heart of God."

Noting that how people speak to one another also shapes the
response, Griswold decried the "harsh language" being used by
the US government over the Iraq issue. "We must embody
reconciliation, becoming the thing we preach because we are
called to the costly and on-going work of reconciliation."

While that doesn't mean "being passive in the face of evil,
it does recognize that even the enemies of truth have a place in
the heart of God." He also said that Americans "must ask what it
is in us, as a nation, that provokes such strong reaction."

Spouses address Iraq issue

The possibility of war with Iraq was also a deep concern of
the bishops' spouses who have been holding their own meeting in
recent years.

Campbell, former executive secretary of the National Council of
Churches, on reconciliation in the world, several small group
discussions looked at what a deeper understanding of
reconciliation would mean in relationships with others around
the world. The seed was planted when she told the group that
"our government has walked us past reconciliation towards war."
It was soon apparent that many of the spouses were ready to take
some kind of action.

"Some of us concluded that acting is a vital part of
reconciliation--that we had to do something," said Jamel
Shimpfky of California. "It became obvious that we had to find a
practical way of expressing our concerns," added Karen Chane of
Washington, DC. "So Fred Quinn from Utah wrote a draft of a
letter that could be sent to government leaders and it stirred
considerable enthusiasm."

"It provided us with an opportunity to speak out--as
individuals living in community, not as an organization or even
as representatives of our dioceses," added Phoebe Griswold, wife
of the presiding bishop. "This action was possible because we as
spouses have been strengthened by our sense of community."

The letter, signed by 74 spouses, will be sent to the
president and vice president, the secretaries of state and
defense, and the national security adviser. It says:

"We are a group of spouses of Episcopal bishops from various
parts of the country, deeply concerned for our nation. Our
Christian gospel teaches us to actively seek reconciliation with
our enemies. Peace is not a passive process or a byproduct of
war, but the result of active engagement. We recognize the face
and experience of evil and are committed to confronting it and
working to eradicate it.

"As war clouds gather, we urge your administration to give
the same commitment of energy and policy attention to
peacemaking, through active consultation with our allies and
through constructive use of the United Nations. We are committed
to working for and finding yet another way so that Christians in
America may unite with those of other faiths to actively build a
world where, in the language of the Bible, the wolf may lie down
with the lamb, and a little child shall lead them, and neither
shall they make war anymore."

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.