From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - Concern expressed over Israel's delay recognizing Greek

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2002 15:31:23 -0700

Partiarch of Jerusalem
		    GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
    8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021  Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212)
				  774-0215
	 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

			       Statement of the
			   Eparchial Synod of the
		    Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
				   on the
	       Delay in Recognizing the Patriarch of Jerusalem

      Meeting on Thursday, September 26, 2002, during our regular session of
the Eparchial Synod, we the Hierarchs of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of
America expressed serious concern about the ongoing failure of the
Government of Israel to recognize the canonical election in August 2001 of
His Beatitude Irenaios, the Patriarch of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of
Jerusalem.

      Orthodoxy worldwide has been waiting more than one year for this
recognition.  We find this delay inexcusable and, therefore, we are forced
to voice our continuing grave concern.

      Without this recognition, the venerable and ancient Patriarchate of
Jerusalem is unable to function as a legal entity in Israel, and is thus
unable to oversee properly the Holy Shrines and property under its
jurisdiction and to operate the schools, hospitals and other institutions
through which it serves Greek Orthodox Christians in the Holy Land.

      We call with strong hopes upon the State of Israel to recognize the
canonically elected Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem, His Beatitude
Irenaios, without further delay.  We remain confident that the many
centuries old rights of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem will be respected.

				      Issued by the
				Office of the Chief Secretary
					 of the Eparchial Synod
				     September 30, 2002