From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Youth committee wants to change church, world

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:35:58 -0500

Oct. 3, 2002  News media contact: Kathy Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.	10-31-35-71BP{449}

NOTE: Photographs and a sidebar, UMNS story #450, are available with this
report.

OSLO, Norway (UMNS) - The World Methodist Council's youth committee has a
mission and a purpose: to change the world by changing the church.

Its statement of purpose sparked a lively discussion after Fabiola Grandsn,
chairperson of the committee, presented a report on her group's work in the
past 12 months. The committee said it wants "to empower young people to
change the world by changing the church through witnessing, worshipping,
connecting, and strengthening belief in God the Creator, Jesus Christ, and
the Holy Spirit."

"Do you really mean you want to change the church?" asked an executive
committee member.

The answer from youth committee members was a resounding "yes," and many
others at the meeting supported the idea.

"I don't see anything wrong with the youth wanting to change the church. Let
them have at it," said His Eminence Sunday Mbang, chairperson of the
council.

"The church as I know it is not what God intends it to be. The young people
are right on," said Bishop Melvin Talbert, ecumenical officer for the United
Methodist Council of Bishops.

The youth committee announced plans to hold the 2006 International Methodist
Young Leaders Seminar in Seoul, Korea, to coincide with the 2006 World
Methodist Conference.

The first International Methodist Young Leaders Seminar was held before the
2001 conference in Brighton, England. The seminar is designed to provide
youth church leaders with an international experience for their ministry.
Throughout the seminar, participants engage in activities that allow global
networking and understanding from a faith-based perspective.

To increase awareness and understanding of the World Methodist Council and
provide an opportunity for young people to experience the global church, the
youth committee plans to hold a "Global Youth Gathering" in July 2004 at
Kenya Methodist University.

"The youth committee believes it is important for youth to develop
international experiences and to gain exposure of life outside their home
context," Grandsn said. "The Global Youth Gathering will have a vital role
in this and enable youth to meet across international lines."

The committee is dedicated to better communication with its members. It also
wants a closer relationship with the World Methodist Council

"In an effort to increase communication and working relationships between
the youth committee and other standing committees in the World Methodist
Council, we request each committee designate a contact person to serve as a
link between the committees.  In return, the youth committee will also
identify members to relate to the other standing committees. We hope this
will allow for a greater balance of new ideas and experience within the
World Methodist Council," Grandsn said.

Visitors to the new www.worldmethodistyouth.org Web site can download a
flyer in English or Spanish on the youth committee. The site is also
available in Spanish, and future plans include translations into Portuguese,
German, Afrikaans, Zulu and French.

Plans are under way to develop a youth component for the World Methodist
Council's ministerial exchange program. A report will be made to the 2004
executive committee.

Grandsn expressed appreciation for a report by the Rev. George Freeman, the
council's top staff executive. "As a committee, we welcomed the words of the
general secretary in his report where he said, 'We would do well as a
council to work with our youth and find ways to help make happen what needs
to happen to ensure that we have well-trained and equipped leadership for
the church of the future,'" Grandsn said.

"The youth committee has outlined how they intend to train and equip youth
leaders. In order for us to meet this responsibility, we need greater
financial assistance," she said.

The committee asked for support in the following areas: Web site development
and maintenance; newsletter production and circulation; conference support;
and grant applications.

After hearing the report, Mbang remarked, "What the adults can do, the young
people can do better."
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: