From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Corporate scandals increase interest in socially responsible investments

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 4 Oct 2002 17:29:20 -0400

October 4, 2002

2002-226

Episcopalians: Corporate scandals increase interest in
socially responsible investments

by James Solheim

(ENS) The recent spate of corporate scandals, and the questions
they raise about business ethics and governance, has increased
interest in socially responsible investments, according to
participants in a recent conference in Massachusetts. The
Episcopal Church's Social Responsibility in Investments
Committee (SRI) joined with the Church Pension Fund (CPF) and
the dioceses of Western Massachusetts and Vermont in a
groundbreaking conference September 14 in Williamstown that
could change the stewardship strategies of those who invest the
church's resources.

According to the Rev. Brian Grieves, director of Peace and
Justice Ministries for the Episcopal Church, "the vision for the
conference belongs to Joyce Austin, chair of the SRI committee."
He said that the conference could be "the beginning of a new
model to make the experience available to the rest of the
church."

Austin expressed a hope that the conference would serve as "a
springboard for the future." Both she and Grieves noted the
cooperation of the CPF, which recently filed a joint resolution
with the Executive Council for the first time in history. "This
partnership is very gratifying," he said. "But this is just the
beginning. We must also help individuals make socially
responsible investments."

How do we invest?

"How can we be faithful followers of Christ with our
investments?" asked Bishop Gordon Scruton of Western
Massachusetts in his opening comments. He suggested that every
Christian should write a "money autobiography" showing when and
how their convictions developed over the years.

Scruton admitted that "in the parish I didn't talk about
money--certainly didn't preach about it." Then he attended a
conference where he learned that the most frequent theme of
Jesus was the kingdom of God--and the relationship to material
possessions. "What we think about and do with money--that's
right at the heart of the message of Jesus and how we relate to
God and to our neighbors," he said. In the Old Testament
practice of "gleaning," grain or grapes were left for the poor
in an effort to share the abundance of the harvest. He said that
the question for Christians today is, "Out of our own gratitude
to God, how do we invest so that the poor always benefit, so
they are blessed?"

What's good for society?

"We are learning that what is good for business is not
necessarily good for society," said Professor Kai Lee of
Williams College, who heads the nation's oldest collegiate
program in environmental studies. While businesses are intended
to earn profits, the question becomes how they account for the
content and distribution of those earnings. "Can we hold
corporations responsible for their behavior?" he asked. "Are
they acting well?"

Kai said that corporations today face what he called "a
double bottom line--social and financial." When corporations do
not act responsibly, their reputations and therefore their
profitability can be seriously affected.

Churches have been very active participants in the movement
for social responsibility in investments that grew out of the
Vietnam War and the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa.
Since the 1980s mutual funds have been screening potential
investments, sorting out the bad from the good. They have also
engaged in reform, petitioning for changes in corporate
behavior. And they have sought to make investments that serve
broader environmental and social purposes, "doing something for
future generations," he said.

Socially responsible investments are likely to expand, Kai
argued, but "the results are mixed." The movement has given
shareholders a voice and it can claim success on avoiding
investment in guns and tobacco but "diminished trust may make
investors more suspicious" of making bad investments as they
balance social investment and financial performance. "Yet
capitalism is an awesome force for transforming life," he said.

Money can corrupt

Amy Domini of Boston, who started the original socially
responsible mutual fund, was for a long time a lonely voice on
the investment committee of the Church Pension Group. In her
presentation, she said that her mutual fund has sought to buy
better companies, be better owners and neighbors--seeking
dialogue with management. "Those are the interlocking factors
for any socially responsible investment strategy," she said.

Speaking as an Episcopalian and former member of the SRI
committee, Domini pointed with some pride to the foundations of
the movement when Presiding Bishop John Hines went to a
stockholder meeting of General Motors in 1971 and, with the help
of Paul Neuhauser of Iowa, called for it to withdraw from
business in South Africa, where it was the largest international
investor.

The whole purpose of the SRI movement, she said, is to find
ways that corporations can "build a better world" because "the
way we invest builds the world we live in." The Domini Index
began by eliminating investments based on religious objections
in such areas as alcohol, tobacco and gambling. "Then we looked
at military and nuclear power," she said. That eliminated 200
companies on the Standard and Poor's list of 500. The Index then
devised a 100-question survey that included "markers of
corporate behavior."

One of the major barriers to participation in the movement is
the mentality that allewges it is the wrong way to foster change
in society, Domini observed. "But corporations are creations of
society so we can have some control." She said that finance and
business is "the strongest force on the planet. So what happens
when it goes out of control--and who fixes it? Not government,
not management but the shareholders who created it and must
restore it."

Domini said that "corporate scandals can have a beneficial
effect because the American public begins to see the underlying
structural, systemic problems, the corruption of power. And
money is a powerful corrupting force." Yet fallout from the
scandals "could encourage and give momentum to greater
transparency--exactly what we have been arguing for--more
screening of investments and curbing of runaway greed."

Barton Jones, general counsel for the Church Pension Group,
described the decision to divest from Philip Morris. Originally
CPG asked Morgan Stanley to find alternative, equally
remunerative investments,
but that was difficult so CPG decided to sell anyway.

Early-warning system

Two principles have guided the SRI movement since the early
70s--more information is better so shareholders can make
informed decisions, providing ethical guidelines exist for the
business role of religious institutions, according to Prof.
Harry van Buren, who teaches business at the University of
Northern Iowa and serves as consultant to the Episcopal Church's
SRI committee.

He offered examples of times when filing resolutions has led
to dialogue and dialogue has led to change. "Sometimes
confrontation is necessary but dialogue is often more effective.
Often good things happen," he said. While shareholders "can have
an influence out of proportion to the shares they own," van
Buren expressed dismay at the "remarkable failure of the church
to influence business ethics." However, he cited the "remarkable
evolution in what the Pension Fund is doing and they should be
encouraged to expand their efforts."

"We are not alone, we are working in collaboration and
partnership with others," said Lindsey Parker, a lawyer from
Boston and a participant in a panel discussion. She said that
the Episcopal Church was one of the founders of the Interfaith Center for
Corporate Responsibility (ICCR), a coalition of about 275
faith-based organizations with over $110 billion under
management.

"This movement is like an early-warning system, dealing with
issues that will become prominent in the future," said van Buren
in echoing comments attributed to Tim Smith of ICCR. The
movement also identifies related issues. Apartheid, for example,
raised issues of labor relations and economic justice, how
workers were treated. "Financial industries are the driving
force in the world so we must look at the links among the
institutions," he said. "How can we help them be more
responsible?"

A teaching moment

Corporate scandals were also on the agenda for an ICCR
symposium in New York. "Understanding the task of corporate
governance in terms of ensuring that all of a corporation's
stockholders benefit is not just an ethical imperative, it also
makes good business sense," van Buren said during his
participation in a panel discussion on September 19.

He argued that all stakeholders, not just shareholders, "take
a risk in helping a corporation achieve its goals. The employees
of Enron who invested their skills with the company took a risk
that ultimately did not pay off and in the process lost their
livelihoods and their retirement security," he said.

Van Buren also cited the risk some communities take in
hosting companies that pollute and workers who risk their health
in dirty and unsafe plants. "Companies and corporate boards at
the very least owe disclosure about such risks to their
stakeholders," he said. He pointed out that  ICCR and its
members "have sought to ask questions about the content and
process of corporate decision-making," trying to influence the
debate about the ethical responsibilities of corporations.

Raising the issue of corporate governance and ethics is "a
natural extension" of the commitment of religious institutions
to the "inherent worth and dignity of every person and
community," van Buren added. "As tragic as recent corporate
scandals have been for many shareholders and other stakeholders
alike, this is a real teaching moment that should not be lost."

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.