From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan's Aborigines Found a College Amid Earthquake's

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 10:32:52 +0800

Ruins
Taiwan Church News 2640, October 6, 2002
Reported by Tio Leng-kip. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   Aborigines from all over Taiwan's central mountain Earthquake
Reconstruction Zone gathered at the Chia-ui Memorial Youth Centre
near the town of Pu-li on September 28th for the opening of the
fall semester of the "Reconstruction Zone Folk College." The
theme for this year's coursework will be "Build Dreams
Practically, Advance Together."
   The college is a joint venture, begun two years ago by the
combined efforts of the Taiwan Community Reconstruction
Association, and the Ta-li-jer Cultural Association.  They
invited aboriginal village associations in the reconstruction
zone to participate. The Community Care Rebuilding Centres of the
Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) eventually came on board.
The college and its programs are designed based on the resources
and opportunities of the reconstruction zone and its residents in
mind.  The long term aim is to have a local centre for education
in each area village.
   Organizing Committee convener Rev. Lai Guan-I pointed out, "in
one year the organizing committee has worked with a 'from the
bottom up' model with local village residents to establish
teaching centres. We have kept in mind that such ventures
traditionally have been politically, religiously or clan based
and have often led to divisions among local people.  We hope the
process of joining together for education can unify the village
organizations and renew the foundations for our mutual
acceptance."
   At the ceremony different local village centers presented
songs, dances, instrumental ensembles and martial arts
demonstrations. Following the festivities, officers were
selected.  Rev. Lai was selected the head of the board of
direction.  Thirteen other board members, representing the
organizing agencies, were installed.

For more information: Lai Guan-I puliwscamp@hotmail.com

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Chinese.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw