From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Board Repudiates Falwells 60 Minutes Comments of Islam

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:23:50 -0400

National Council of Churches
NCC10/07/02 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC BOARD REPUDIATES FALWELLS 60 MINUTES COMMENTS ON ISLAM

October 7, 2002, NEW YORK CITY - The Executive Board of the (U.S.) National
Council of Churches this afternoon (Oct. 7) voted unanimously to condemn
and repudiate the Rev. Jerry Falwells statements yesterday on CBS-TVs 60
Minutes about Islam and the Prophet Muhammed, saying his statements
endangered the lives of Christians around the world.

Falwells hateful and destructive statements - among others, that
Muhammed was a terrorist - are NOT those of the majority of Christians in
this country nor in the rest of the world, said the leaders of U.S.
Protestant, Orthodox and Anglican denominations.  His statements about
Islam and the Prophet Muhammed are not only factually true and offensive,
but are dangerous to the national security of every nation where Christians
and Muslims are seeking a peaceful relationship.

The Executive Board of the NCC, which comprises 36 denominations with 50
million adherents, noting that Falwell implied in his comments that he and
his constituency control President Bushs policies toward Israel and
Palestine, called on President Bush to repudiate and condemn Falwells
remarks.

The full text of the resolution follows:

THE NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES

Resolution Refuting and Condemning the Statements Concerning Islam and the
Prophet Muhammed Made by Rev. Jerry Falwell on 60 Minutes Sunday, October
06, 2002

Adopted Unanimously by the National Council of Churches Executive Board
Meeting October 7, 2002, in New York City

WHEREAS Jerry Falwell stated in a 60 Minutes (CBS) interview, October 6,
2002  I think Muhammed was a terrorist. I read enoughby both Muslims and
non-Muslims, [to decide] that he was a violent man, a man of war; and,

WHEREAS Jerry Falwell implied in his comments that he and his constituency
control President Bushs policies towards Israel and Palestine; and

WHEREAS his views are not those of the majority of Christians in this
country nor in the rest of the world; and,

	WHEREAS his statements about Islam and the Prophet Muhammed are not
only
factually untrue and offensive, but are dangerous to the national security
of every nation where Christians and Muslims are seeking a peaceful
relationship; and,

	WHEREAS his remarks create ideal conditions for breeding terrorism
among
those who may not understand that he does not represent the majority of
Christians or Americans; and,

	WHEREAS his inflammatory words put at increased risk the lives of
thousands
of Christian missionaries and humanitarian aid workers, as well as their
Christian partners abroad who are engaged in heroic efforts to be
peacemakers and bridge-builders in difficult and dangerous circumstances;
and,

	WHEREAS we believe Jerry Falwells words to be not Christian and
shockingly
uninformed.

WE, the Executive Board of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in
the USA, representing 36 churches and over 50 million U. S. Christians,
affirm to our brothers and sisters in Islam that we condemn and repudiate
Jerry Falwells hateful and destructive statements delivered on CBSs 60
Minutes, October 6, 2002, and we call upon President George W. Bush to
repudiate and condemn Falwells remarks.

-end-

Contacts:

NCC Communication Department - 212-870-2252/2227/2048 or (mobile)
917-690-6075
NCC General Secretary Bob Edgar - 212-870-2025 or (mobile) 917-821-0852