From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MESSAGE FROM THE HEADS OF CHURCHES IN JERUSALEM TO PRESIDENT GEORGE

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:19:22 -0700

BUSH

AN URGENT MESSAGE FROM THE HEADS OF CHURCHES IN JERUSALEM

TO PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH

07-Oct-02

Your Excellency,

We greet you from Jerusalem in the name of our Lord Jesus Christi - himself
the Prince of Peace.

We are greatly troubled as we learn of the new legislation you have signed
in recent days - specifically section 214 of the Foreign Relations
Authorization Act (HR 1646) relating to Jerusalem.

At a time when so many efforts are being made to end the bloodshed and
violence of this Land and work for peace it seems provocative to us that
your Congress should seem to want to pre-empt the careful negotiation and
legislation which have already been deemed necessary especially under the
Oslo Agreement and UN Resolutions 242, 338.

East Jerusalem is occupied territory and as such should be currently
protected by International law.

Areas of the City are sacred to Jews, Moslems and Christians.  As such,
these areas need to be freely open and access safeguarded to adherents of
these Faiths.

We fully appreciate the infinite patience, care and goodwill which will be
necessary to resolve the final status of the Hoy City of Jerusalem and
there fore appeal to you not to jeopardize future peace efforts otherwise
there will be increased suffering in an already troubled area.

The Very Revd Michael H. Sellors
C-ordinator for the Heads of Churches
St. George's Cathedral-Jerusalem
P.O. Box 19810 Jerusalem 91190