From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UAHC - Rabbi Yoffie Statement on Jewish Population Study Statistics

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:24:26 -0700

Emily Grotta
UAHC Director of Marketing & Communications
(212) 650-4227
http://uahc.org

POPULATION STUDY STATISTICS UNDERSCORE CHALLENGES FACING THE JEWISH COMMUNITY

Findings Were Anticipated by the Reform Movement

(NEW YORK, October 8, 2002)-Responding to the findings of the United Jewish
Community s population study released today, Rabbi Eric H. Yoffie,
president of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, said the data
underscore the need to address how we can strengthen and support the
changing Jewish family.

STATEMENT BY RABBI ERIC YOFFIE

President, Union of American Hebrew Congregations

The results of the UJC s population study released thus far underscore
challenges that the Jewish community faces. While the findings seen in the
data are trends that we at the Union of American Hebrew Congregations have
long anticipated - indeed, the departments of Jewish Family Concerns and
Outreach and Synagogue Community made a presentation at our June Board of
Trustees meeting about these trends - we need to give serious thought to
the implications of the findings for our synagogues.

In his June presentation, Rabbi Richard Address, director of the Department
of Jewish Family Concerns, told the Board that instead of talking about the
changing Jewish family, we need to address the challenges that the changed
Jewish family poses for the Jewish community.

The Union of American Hebrew Congregations has begun to address those
changes. Indeed, we created the Department of Jewish Family Concerns to
provide support for those coping with divorce, custody issues, single
parenting, infertility, adoption, blended families, older adults, and gay
and lesbian inclusions. Among the UAHC initiatives are the following:

'	Materials for individuals and congregations to help with the
challenges of an aging population, including A Time to Prepare: A Practical
Guide for Individuals and Families in Determining One's Wishes for
Extraordinary Medical Treatment and Financial Arrangements and guides to
long-term health care planning and ethical issues such as the termination
of treatment and living wills, euthanasia, and the allocation of scare
medical resources.

'	Study guides and resources for those in our community who are
struggling with infertility, including information on genetic screening and
adoption.

'	Three synagogue based programs for engaged couples, expectant
parents and new parents: The Aleph-Bet of Marriage, Having a Jewish Baby,
and Jewish Parenting Made Simple.

The data released today will give added momentum to the work of the
department and, we will need to have serious dialogue about what we, as a
Movement, can do to support and strengthen families, give support to our
aging and sandwich generations, address the balance of work and family, and
assist those who seek to have children.

You will recall that more than a decade ago, when the 1990 Jewish
Population Survey was released, the statistics on intermarriage caught much
of the Jewish community by surprise and caused great alarm and concern. The
Reform Movement, however, was not caught by surprise. We had already seen
the trend and created our Outreach programs to reach out to interfaith
couples and welcome them into the community. Rather than bemoan the
statistics, we creatively and forthrightly addressed the challenges, and,
as we now see, our efforts have brought a new vitality to our Movement.

Similarly, we will not bemoan these findings; rather, we will continue to
work to meet the challenge these changing demographics pose to the Jewish
community.