From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: 'Acolyte of Christian liberalism' Paul Washington dies

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:54:33 -0400

October 9, 2002

2002-230

Episcopalians: 'Acolyte of Christian liberalism' Paul
Washington dies

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) The Rev. Paul Matthew Washington, rector of North
Philadelphia's Church of the Advocate for 25 years, died Monday
of heart failure at Lankenau Hospital in Philadelphia at the age
of 81.

The Philadelphia Inquirer described Washington as an
"elegant, energetic Episcopal pastor who became a relentless
champion of the oppressed and such a steadfast acolyte of
Christian liberalism that one political leader dubbed him 'the
high priest of the progressive movement'." Washington was also
called the "conscience of the city" of Philadelphia by U.S.
Representative William Gray III.

Under his leadership, the Church of the Advocate hosted
meetings of the Black Panthers and other groups; fought against
racial discrimination, police brutality and the Vietnam War;
pushed for open housing; and lobbied for civil rights for
lesbians and gays. Washington also helped build and later taught
for six years at Cuttington College in Liberia.

In 1969, Washington led a walkout of black clergy from
General Convention in South Bend, Indiana, over the issue of
reparations for the sufferings of Africans during the slave
trade. In 1974, he opened the church for the ordination of 11
women, now referred to as the "Philadelphia Eleven," by three
retired bishops. Washington later preached at the historic
consecration of one of his parishioners, Barbara C. Harris, as
bishop suffragan of the Diocese of Massachusetts--the first
woman bishop in the Anglican Communion.

In 1980, Washington joined a group of Americans who defied a
U.S. travel ban and attended a conference in Iran while that
country was holding 53 Americans hostage in the U.S. Embassy in
Tehran.

In a farewell sermon at Church of the Advocate in 1987,
Washington said that, soon after he arrived at the church in
1962, "I heard God speak to me. It wasn't anything like the
prophets might have heard, a voice from above. I heard God speak
to me through the voices of the people who came to my church.
They said they were hungry, cold, homeless, oppressed,
brutalized and exploited. And I knew it was God telling me to do
something about it."

In retirement, Washington served as interim rector of Church
of the Crucifixion in South Philadelphia, where he had been
ordained and married. He revitalized the congregation and
continued to celebrate the Eucharist and preach there until
November.

The Paul and Christine Washington Family and Community
Center, to be built adjacent to Church of the Advocate, is
scheduled to be completed next year, housing a summer camp and
after-school programs for children.

Born in Charleston, South Carolina, Washington was raised a
Baptist, but discovered the Episcopal Church during pre-med
studies at Lincoln University in Chester County. He graduated
from the Philadelphia Divinity School (which merged to form
Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts), and was
ordained a priest in 1947.

Besides his wife, he is survived by three sons, Marc, Kemah
and Michael; a daughter, Donya Washington; and seven
grandchildren.

A Service of Celebration will be held at 3 p.m. October 14 at
the Church of the Advocate. Burial arrangements are private. In
lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Church of the
Advocate, 18th and Diamond Streets, Philadelphia 19121.

------

Portions of this report were taken from articles in the
Associated Press, the Philadelphia Daily News, and the
Philadelphia Inquirer.

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News
Service.