From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: BulletinEpiscopal cathedral in Phoenix suffers disastrous fire

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:03:58 -0400

October 10, 2002

2002-232

Episcopalians: BulletinEpiscopal cathedral in Phoenix suffers
disastrous fire

According to press reports, historic Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
in downtown Phoenix caught fire last night and first reports
indicate that the sanctuary of the 82-year-old structure is a
"total loss." Smoke damaged the rest of the building and the
cathedral's 3,000-pipe organ, dedicated just last November,
sustained "significant damage," according to the Fire
Department.

The Arizona Republic reported that "the blaze appears
to have been started by a worship candle at the back of the
cathedral, then spread to the second floor and attic, burning as
hot as 1200 degrees Fahrenheit in some areas." Teri Murphy, a
parishioner from Tempe, "ran like a maniac yelling "fire'" when
she realized that her son was upstairs taking piano lessons. "We
tried to go back through the hallway but the smoke was too
thick," said Murphy, the Episcopal chaplain at Arizona State.
"We would have died if we tried to go through because the kids
were panicking and having trouble breathing," she told the
newspaper.

But the side door was locked so Murphy punched her fist
through a window and yelled for help. A man who Murphy said
appeared to be a transient jerked the steel door open, freeing
her and the children. "It was like a superhuman effort," she
told the newspaper. "I had never seen him before and have not
seem him since."

The newspaper reported that it took about 85 firefighters
about 15 minutes to control the blaze. The cathedral, with 360
members, finished a $1.85 million restoration last year.

Murphy called the cathedral "a lovely, quiet place" and said
that "it's devastating to the community. We're in shock."
Staring at the building, parishioner Gail Mjalmarson said that
"it just crushes you."

Roman Catholic Monsignor Edward Ryle of Phoenix stopped to
offer the church support and solidarity. "It's just really
tragic," he said to the newspaper. "The church, being a human
institution, is not immune from accidents."

Church members are vowing to rebuild, saying resurrection is
what the church is about. Members plan to gather Sunday for
worship services, even if they must use the cathedral's
courtyard.

------