From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Secretary General's words on death of Basimaki Byabasaija

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:31:22 -0700

ACNS 3153 - ACC 12 - 15 September 2002

ACNS 3153 - ACC 12 - 15 September 2002

Secretary General's words on death of Basimaki Byabasaija

ACC-12 Opening Eucharist

A week ago Friday, while I was waiting at Heathrow for my flight to Hong
Kong, Lynne Butt from our Travel Office called and told me the horrid news
-that Basimaki Byabasaija, the clergy representative from the Anglican
Church in the Congo, had been murdered on the way to ACC-12 from his home in
Boga en route to Uganda where he was going to fly to Hong Kong. In a press
report that we received shortly after receiving this news, we were told that
Basimaki's body had been so mutilated that it had to be collected to be
buried.

This morning 1 received a letter from the Archbishop of the Congo, who told
me that Miss Joyce Muhindo Tsongo, the lay representative, was supposed to
join Basimaki, but she 'remains unreachable till now. People are scattered
all over the region seeking for safety'. The Archbishop continued, 'almost
all the population from Boga, including myself, have fled and are currently
in Ugandan territory'. Hence when the banner from the Congo was brought into
the Cathedral a black stole was draped over it.

In the Archbishop's letter he told me that Basimaki's son is completing his
masters degree at a local university and the Archbishop requested a grant
from the Communion for US$2000 to help with his education. The Archbishop of
Canterbury, the Archbishop of Hong Kong, the Chair and the Vice Chair of the
ACC have designated the offering from this Opening Service to go towards
Basimaki's son's education. In this tragedy, please be generous.

Might I ask you now to stand for a minute of silence followed by prayers for
Basimaki, remembering as well his family and all the people of the Congo who
are suffering at this time.

[Minute silence]

Into your hands, O merciful Saviour, we commend your servant Basimaki.
Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your
own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of your
mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the Glorious
Company of the saints in light. Amen.

May his soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God,
rest in peace and rise in glory. Amen.

ACNS mailing list