From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Conference explores ecumenical implications bishops' role

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:03:36 -0400

October 14, 2002

2002-236

Episcopalians: Conference explores ecumenical implications
bishops' role

by James Solheim

(ENS) While waiting in the lunch line at a Roman Catholic
retreat center near Boston, Massachusetts, one participant in an
intense three-day conference on the power of bishops summarized
the issue succinctly: "Bishops--can't live without them but
sometimes can't live with them either."

The September 20-23 conference was sponsored by the
Anglican-Lutheran Society, the Episcopal Diocese of
Massachusetts and the New England Synod of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). It drew about 45 participants
from Europe and North America to address a topic with broad
ecumenical implications.

In a series of six lectures by Episcopal, Lutheran and Roman
Catholic theologians--and some lively discussion in response--it
was demonstrated quite forcefully that the role of bishops in
the church has historical roots but has become an "ecumenical
issue" as the churches entered an intense period of formal
dialogues over the past 40 years or so that led to new
relationships.

The role of bishops was a major point of contention, for
example, in dialogue between Lutherans and Episcopalians that
finally led in 2001 to adoption of Called to Common Mission
(CCM), establishing full communion between the two churches.
Most of the opposition among Lutherans centered on an agreement
to install all future Lutheran bishops in the historic
episcopate, a significant change in the pattern of oversight
among American Lutherans.

By what authority?

Confessing that Lutherans are tied to their 16th century
Reformation history, Professor Michael Root of Trinity Lutheran
Seminary in Columbus, Ohio, described how the role of bishops
has "become a problem for Lutherans." In fact, the problems
began during the Reformation, he pointed out, because Luther and
the Reformers were dealing with a serious confusion of secular
and ecclesiastical authority exercised by the bishops at the
time. The question became what authority could be exercised by
those bishops in the face of a "careless mixture" of sacred and
secular poewrs.

How did Lutheran ecumenical discussions come to focus on a
topic which usually is not thought of as one of the central
themes of the Reformation? Root asked. Article 28 of the
Augsburg Confession dealt with the power of bishops in a way
that would finally divide the church because Lutherans felt
"they had no choice but to exercise episcopal discipline over
their churches and then later when they felt they had no choice
but to ordain clergy without the participation of bishops
recognized by Catholic church authorities."

The result was, according to Root, "an alternative and
self-perpetuating church structure to that of the episcopal and
papal structure that had been in place in the West from the
third century. It was the practical rejection of the authority
of the actual bishops on the spot that marked the move from a
reform movement to a separated church."

Mixing sacred and secular powers

The Augsburg Confession also made it very clear that "in
Christendom the teaching of Christian freedom must be preserved,
namely, that bondage to the law is not necessary for
justification" and that the "chief article of the Gospel must be
maintained, that we obtain the grace of God through faith in
Christ without our merit and do not earn it through service of
God instituted by human beings." So the bishop has no power over
the consciences of believers, even though they "may make
regulations for the sake of good order in the church."

While Augsburg said that "it is our greatest desire to retain
the order of the church and the various ranks in the
church--even though they were established by human authority,"
hostile or heretical bishops meant that "the churches are
compelled by divine right to ordain pastors and ministers for
themselves, using their own pastors."

Necessity of oversight

Moving to implications for today's ecumenical discussions,
Root said that the question is whether Lutherans, "for the sake
of unity," are committed to episcopacy as the preferable church
order. When the ELCA adopted CCM, it was a sign that it was
committing itself to a "historic and evangelical episcopate" and
saw itself as still bound by the commitments of the Lutheran
Confessions on this question, Root said.

Yet Lutherans today do not agree on the role of bishops, Root
observed. Contrary to the understanding of North American and
Nordic Lutherans, some continental European theologians argue
that structures that have developed since the Reformation "show
no particular preference for episcopacy."  (On a practical
level, that has meant that Nordic and Baltic Lutherans and
British and Irish Anglicans could embrace 1996 Porvoo Agreement,
establishing full communion, because they share the historic
episcopate while the German Lutherans could not participate
because they don't agree.)

In the crucial 1987 Niagara Report stemming from one of the
official dialogues, Lutherans and Anglicans concluded that they
have "always agreed that there exists a divinely instituted
ministry to serve the mission of the Gospel," Root said.
"Anglicans in their theological reflection and Lutherans in
their practical experience have recognized that some form of
oversight is a necessity." Niagara asserted that this ministry
of oversight "is the heart of episcopal ministry. As a minister
of oversight, the bishop is vitally related to both the unity
and continuity of the church," said Root.

Episcopacy is desirable "not as by itself constituting the
apostolic continuity of the church, but as one element in that
continuity," Root said. "A truly historic and evangelical
episcopacy is both a sign and an embodiment of continuity in the
apostolic mission." Yet the CCM agreement sees the common
participation in episcopal succession as "a sign, though not a
guarantee, of the unity and apostolic continuity of the whole
church."

Dealing with issues together

In a seldom-cited provision of the CCM agreement, Root said
that the Episcopal Church agreed "to establish structures for
collegial and periodic review of the ministry exercised by
bishops with a view to evaluation, adaptation, improvement and
continual reform in the service of the Gospel." If episcopacy is
a real but fallible sign of continuity in the apostolic mission,
"then it must be embedded in the midst of a variety of other
ministries which stand alongside of episcopal ministry, at times
correcting, at times being corrected, by it," Root added. "I
would understand the logic of the recent Lutheran-Anglican
agreements as mandating just the sort of synodical episcopacy
that Lutheran and Anglican churches have come to embody in the
19th and 20th centuries."

The idea also appealed to the Rev. Francis Sullivan, a Jesuit
who described in his lecture the authority of the diocesan
bishop in the Roman Catholic Church. After describing the role
of the diocesan synod, a broadly representative "assembly of
selected priests and other Christian faithful" that offers
assistance to the bishop, and the pastoral council that has a
similar consultative role, he offered some ideas for "the
renewal and reform" of the role of bishop.

Sullivan said that there is "an urgent need of changes that
would provide for a more effective participation of priests,
members of religious orders, lay men and women, in the processes
by which decisions are made in our church," he said. "The
mistakes our bishops have made in the handling of cases of the
sexual abuse of children make it all too clear that bishops need
to tap the gifts of wisdom, counsel, and knowledge that are
available to them in the other members of the church."

Addressing issues ecumenically

"How does the new relation between our churches affect the
way we are dealing with potentially divisive disputes in our
midst?" Root asked. "Are we addressing these questions
ecumenically? Are our bishops addressing them collegially,
understanding that the college embraces both of our churches?"

Pointing to issues facing each church, Root said that "our
relation means that Lutherans should have something to say about
the dispute in the Diocese of Pennsylvania, something to say not
as outsiders but as Christians in full communion; perhaps not as
members of the immediate nuclear family, but at least as
cousins. Conversely, why does the ELCA's task force on human
sexuality include only Lutherans? We are certainly not alone in
addressing this topic and whatever solution we reach will impact
our relations with other churches."

One church catholic

"It seems to me that in contemporary America the combination
of clear commitment to the Gospel and a sense of unity with
wider tradition is what Lutherans and Anglicans together
peculiarly have to offer," Root said. "What catholic
Christianity, within which Lutherans and Anglicans belong, has
to offer, what it should offer, is a strong sense of unity with
the one church of all times and places...We need imaginative and
creative ministries but our congregations are not
entrepreneurial units, out there on their own. Every
congregation or parish is a realization in its place of the one
church catholic."

Root concluded that "the peculiar challenge we face as
churches sharing a historic and evangelical episcopate at this
moment in American life, it seems to me, is to be truly and
commitedly evangelical while also being flexibly but
authentically catholic...We need symbols and signs of the larger
realities we are part of...As churches we are to continue the
mission Christ gave to the church through the apostles 'to the
end of the age.' The historic episcopate is meant to symbolize
the reality of this unity and continuity of all ordained
ministry. and how that can be manifested locally."

The bishop as missionary

In his presentation, Professor Ian Douglas of Episcopal
Divinity School in Massachusetts tackled the issue of "The Power
of Bishops and the Missionary Episcopate in the Episcopal Church
USA" by "placing the role and authority of the bishop within the
larger missiological context of the church as mission."

Douglas traced the development of the Domestic and Foreign
Missionary Society, the corporate name of the Episcopal Church,
pointing out that "since 1835 the Episcopal Church has said that
mission and the church are inseparable. To be an Episcopalian is
to be involved in mission. The church is mission," and the
mission field is the whole world. The General Convention in 1835
"created the missionary episcopate."

He added, "The calling of the bishop was not so much to the
settled community of believers, but rather to the world beyond
the church," while not ignoring the needs of the church, its
people or clergy. "The role of the bishop is to lead the church
forward in mission, to go ahead of the people to extend God's
healing community, and to motivate the faithful to full
participation in God's mission."

"The authority of the episcopate resides not in the
individual bishop, no matter what her/his charisma or leadership
skills or lack thereof, but rather in the office of the bishop
as a point of unity for all the baptized in mission," he said.

New realities

The 1998 Lambeth Conference of Anglican bishops in Canterbury
introduced some new realities, Douglas pointed out. Church
leaders from the industrialized West "had to wrestle with the
fact that we in the West can no longer rest in the economic and
political privilege of colonialism or the
theological/philosophical paradigms of the Enlightenment."
Until then Anglicans in the West, including bishops, "could
ignore these radical shifts in the Communion and thus avoid the
hard questions of identity, authority and power."

Lambeth 1998 signaled "a turning point in Anglicanism,"
demonstrating that "a profound power shift is occurring within
Anglicanism," Douglas argued. "It became abundantly clear" that
the churches in the developing world would not stand idly by
while others set the agenda. How do these changes "challenge our
understanding of Anglican identity and affect our understanding
of authority, particularly the authority of bishops and/or
archbishops?" he asked. "What forces are there within
Anglicanism today that hinder us from living into the
possibilities of genuine mutual responsibility and
interdependence in the Body of Christ as a global Christian
community embodying vast differences like we've never seen
before?"

In answer to the question, Douglas pointed to two forces--the
"ongoing legacy of colonialism" and the "philosophical and
theological roots of modernity."

"Like it or not, colonialism and neo-colonialism die hard,"
he said, and "a lot of Anglican interaction today is not yet
free from the vestiges of colonial power plays and/or new
colonial abuses."

While the Anglican Communion has historically "traded on the
power of the Enlightenment as much as it has on the power of
Western colonialism," today the majority of Anglicans "are able
to live in multiple realities, both the Enlightenment construct
as well as their own local contexts." He added that the movement
"from being a church grounded in modernity and secure in the
Enlightenment to a post-modern or extra-modern reality is as
tumultuous as the shift from colonialism to a post-colonial
reality." It is particularly terrifying for those who have
enjoyed privilege, power and control--and the transition is
being "vigorously countered" by those people.

A dangerous trend

"There are some in the Anglican Communion who believe that
these changing times require increased power for bishops
augmented by a new central structure of authority...a curia, if
you will...with new kinds of authority and responsibility for
the unity of Anglicanism." That trend toward increased authority
of bishops and greater centralization of primatial power is
obvious in the "Virginia Report" prepared by the Inter-Anglican
Theological and Doctrinal Commission in 1998.

Douglas pointed out that a Lambeth Conference resolution on
the Instruments of the Anglican Communion "for the first time
ever in the history of Anglicanism imbues the archbishops of the
Anglican Communion with heretofore unheard of pan-Anglican
authority and power," giving the primates authority to intervene
in the life of local Anglican provinces when issues of diversity
create problems.

The trend is applauded by those who are convinced that some
churches in the Anglican Communion, like the Episcopal Church
USA, "are pursuing an errant path with respect to issues of
human sexuality," and they are looking for "guidelines on the
limits of Anglican diversity." At a 2001 Primates Meeting in
North Carolina a proposal emerged that laid out a role for them
to serve "as chief judges and magistrates who had the power to
throw a church out of the Anglican Communion for perceived
errant ways."

Addressing a question directly to the Lutheran participants,
Douglas asked, "What does your experience of episcopacy in its
many forms across the Lutheran world have to offer us as
Anglicans today? How can your historic emphasis on the pastoral
and missiological imperative of ordained pastors serve as a
check to our misappropriation of the mission episcopate and new
found fondness for the curia in Anglicanism? Can Called to
Common Mission help those of us in the United States, in
particular, to reclaim the role of bishop as chief missionary?"

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.