From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Courage, prayers sustain Episcopalian Chinese dissident's family

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:14:48 -0400

October 16, 2002

2002-238

Episcopalians: Courage, prayers sustain Episcopalian Chinese
dissident's family

by Nan Cobbey

(Episcopal Life) Christina Fu doesn't know if she will ever see
her husband again. He took a risky chance in April and is paying
for it with his freedom. He may pay with his life.

Yang Jianli, a 38-year-old father of two, member of All
Saints Episcopal Church, Brookline, Massachusetts, returned to
his native China in April on a "borrowed" passport. He was
caught. He made one phone call to his wife and has not been
heard from since.

For 13 years, ever since the 1989 student massacre in Tiananmen
Square from which he escaped, Yang has been barred from China.
He's one of 49 dissidents blacklisted for outspoken criticism of
the Chinese government and for promoting a change to democracy
and constitutional law. No lawyer has been allowed to take
Yang's case because he has not yet been charged. He was formally
arrested on June 21, according to the State Department. He is
being held in Beijing incommunicado, which, according to Amnesty
International, is a violation of both Chinese and international
law.

Yang's use of a friend's passport was a last minute decision,
says his wife, Christina Fu. He'd planned the trip for months,
but had intended to visit Nepal and Thailand and try to enter
China through one of those countries. Instead he used the
passport to enter directly through Beijing. He was determined to
get to the Northeast of China where tens of thousands of workers
have lost jobs, where manufacturing plants are closing. Yang, a
Ph.D. in political economics, felt his writing and research
depended on what he could learn firsthand.

"I didn't have a chance to discuss with him about all the steps
what to do if he was in trouble," says Fu. "I was most afraid
that he would suddenly disappear and I would never hear him
again." As she tells the story, her nervous laugh turns into a
gasp and words catch in her throat.

"On a Friday night, at 11 o'clock, I got a phone call. It was
a terrible moment. The man didn't tell me who he was. The only
thing he told me was Your husband is in trouble at an airport
in Kunming. He was stopped by the police.'"

Later that night, Yang called her from a hotel where he was
being held. He told her about his arrest. The next morning, she
reached him at that hotel. He said to her: "There are two police
friends that are with me. They are very nice. I know I am not
going to stay here for long. I will be transferred to another
place."

Those were the last words she heard from her husband.

A presidential visit

Fu, a researcher at Harvard Medical School, focuses her hopes on
Amnesty International, efforts by her church, political allies
found through her Harvard connections and her Massachusetts
congressmen. All believe a scheduled visit to the United States
by Chinese President Jiang Zemin could be a help. They have
organized press conferences, mailings and literature to
coincide. Zemin's visit is scheduled October 25.

Yang, who also holds a Ph.D. in mathematics, is president of the
Boston-based think tank Foundation for China in the 21st
Century. A member of the Communist party during his
undergraduate days in China, he became an outspoken supporter of
democracy after his exposure to Western thought at the
University of California in Berkeley in the 1980s. Yang wrote
and spoke widely about the need for reform in China and was one
of the founders of the Foundation, which publishes and
broadcasts its message into China and across the world.

In 1989, when students in Beijing were facing the wrath of
the Chinese government, Yang organized mass protests in front of
the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco. He demanded government
dialogue. He started raising money for the students. On May 9 of
that year, when the Chinese government declared martial law in
Beijing, Yang decided to travel to China, to deliver the money
he had raised. He was present with the students in Tiananmen
Square on June 4 and has said that he saw more than 20 people
killed that day.

"That's really where he changed his mind about the Communist
Party," Fu told the Boston Globe.

Since then, Yang has helped draft a democratic, federal
constitution for a free China, organized forums for Chinese
scholars with the Dalai Lama, created a book series which is
distributed secretly within China and initiated "The Voice of
China," a short-wave, clandestine radio program that has been
broadcast into China every day for the past 10 years.

Pray for me every day'

"When my husband left, he told me, Whatever happens just
pray for me every day and  I want our children's lives normal.'
" Fu does pray for him every day and so do friends from All
Saints.

Her prayer and her confidence in her husband's strong faith
keep her centered. "I know he went to China with peace."

On Aug. 23, Amnesty International issued an "urgent action
appeal" about Yang Jianli. The report, sent worldwide, cited
fears for his safety. Amnesty urged its members to send appeals
immediately to China's minister of foreign affairs, minister of
public security and ambassador.

"Most urgent action appeals are on behalf of people who may
be being mistreated, need medical care," says Joshua Rubenstein,
Amnesty's northeast regional director. "In Jianli's case, we
don't know where he is."

Rubenstein says the purpose of the letters is to make the
authorities aware that people all around the world are watching
and waiting to find out what will happen. "And we will
eventually know what happens to him." In the past, China has
denied political activists fair trials and has used torture,
according to Rubenstein.

Archbishop and Noble Peace Laureate Desmond M. Tutu visited
All Saints in May and met with Fu. Afterwards he wrote the
Chinese ambassador to plead for Yang. The Massachusetts
congressional delegation has done the same, as have members of
the Congressional Human Rights Caucus.

Chinese activists, both in the United States and in other
countries are protesting Yang's arrest. 170 of them issued a
joint statement calling on the government to release Yang and
"abolish the blacklist."

At All Saints, Fu's support group continues to meet weekly.
The church recently published booklets with background
information and letters of support.

In anticipation of the Chinese president's visit, supporters
were operating "at full court press," said Julie Seavy, All
Saints' director of religious Education and member of Fu's
support group. The church sent more letters, gave out buttons
with Yang's picture, conducted forums. U.S. Representative
Barney Frank scheduled a press conference in Washington. The
State Department requested Yang be released before the visit.

The occasion of the visit makes Yang's release more likely,
according to Jerome A. Cohen, an expert on the Chinese legal
system and former Harvard Law School professor. "Nobody wants to
mar a state visit  because a case like this is getting in the
way," Cohen told a Harvard Crimson reporter.

My hope never dies'

So many people have been supportive that it is hard for Fu to
talk about it without tears. "A lot of people, really a lot,
have helped. That is why my hope never dies," she says. "I tell
people, any help is big. Right now you don't know what can
trigger them to release him. So anything you can think, just do
it."

Even in this time of worry and waiting, Fu lives with a sense
of peace about her husband. "I know he can deal with the
interrogation with the solitary confinement. He was prepared. I
know, through prayer, he can sustain there. And for me to have
peace, real peace, is just to pray for him."

------

To help, write to Ambassador Yang Jiechi, Embassy of the
People's Republic of China, 2300 Connecticut Ave. N.W.,
Washington, D.C. 20008; fax: 202-328-2582.

On the web:

http://www.chinaeweekly.com/yangengReports.asp

--Nan Cobbey is features editor of Episcopal Life.