From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS - Nafzger: Synod's'differences' not primarily over doctrine

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:57:35 -0700

The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services

LCMSNews -- No. 67
October 17, 2002

Nafzger: Synod's differences'
not primarily over doctrine

The executive director of the Synod's Commission on Theology and Church
Relations (CTCR) says he does not believe that differences currently
plaguing the Synod are primarily doctrinal in nature.

"Our differences are largely about strategy -- how do we take the
confession we all hold dear ... and apply it in a new day and a new age?"
Dr. Samuel H. Nafzger said.

"We are not deeply divided doctrinally.  We are the envy of Christendom for
the doctrinal unity we have, but we are at each other's throats over the
strategy for preserving our confession and the need to get power to use our
particular strategy for preserving it," he said.

"If we divide in the Synod," Nafzger said, "it will be a matter of
sectarianism, not doctrine."

He said the Synod dare never compromise its doctrine, "but we must sing the
same song in a new key."

Nafzger said much the same to the CTCR when it met in St. Louis Sept. 16
18.  He urged the commission to give theological leadership on issues being
debated in the Synod, such as church fellowship, admission to the Lord's
Supper, aspects of the doctrine of the ministry, and the role of women in
the church.

"The commission was put together for such a time as this," Nafzger said,
adding that it is a "microcosm of the Synod."  Members include
representatives of the Synod's two seminary faculties and the Council of
Presidents; a university faculty member; parish pastors; a parish teacher;
laypersons; and, as advisory members, the president and first vice
president of the Synod and the presidents of the two seminaries.

Nafzger highlighted three assignments on which the CTCR has been
working.  He urged the commission to complete them in time for the next
Synod convention, in 2004, saying it's time for the CTCR to offer:

-- guidelines for relating to other Christians with whom Lutherans have
serious doctrinal disagreements;

-- recommendations on women serving in all congregational offices that do
not involve distinctive functions of the pastoral office; and

-- reaffirmation of the importance of the priesthood of all believers,
while holding up the pastoral office as the only divinely instituted church
office.

"I am convinced that if we set our minds to it, we can come to agreement on
these issues and provide solid, positive theological leadership not only in
the Synod, but throughout the world," Nafzger told the commission.

LCMSNews is published by the News and Information Division, Board for
Communication Services, of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.  Please
note that subscribers to LCMSNews will not be able to reach anyone by
hitting the "Reply" button when viewing an LCMSNews release. Such replies
will be deleted. However, if you have questions or comments about this
LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower Jr. via e-mail at
joe.isenhower@lcms.org, or by phone at (314) 996-1231.

To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your e-mail address for LCMSNews,
go to the following Web
address:  http://lists.lcms.org/mailman/listinfo/lcmsnews.