From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS woman in Canada faces deportation, jail

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:55:27 -0700

The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services

LCMSNews -- No. 65
October 14, 2002

LCMS woman in Canada faces deportation, jail

By Bruce Kueck

A woman who is a communicant member of a Missouri Synod congregation in
Canada is in danger of being deported and imprisoned in Iran because a
Canadian immigration-authority judge doesn't believe she is a Christian.

"Nancy" (not her real name, to protect her identity), a refugee from Iran
and a member of Ascension Lutheran Church, Montreal, is expected to be
forced out of Canada as early as the end of October.

According to Rev. Harold Ristau, Nancy's pastor at Ascension, Nancy faces
almost certain imprisonment and, possibly, death, if she is forced to
return to Iran, where she, along with her husband, son and daughter, are
considered apostate because they are considered to have converted from
Islam to Christianity.

In broken English, her voice wavering with emotion, Nancy explained that,
in Iran, she was not Muslim, but rather religionless.

"In Iran, they think everyone Muslim.  But, I never had God.  I was not
really religious.  But, then this happened to my heart.  I believe Jesus
died for me, just to save me."

Nancy's request for refugee status in Canada was denied earlier this year
by Judge Helene Panagakos, who, during an immigration hearing in which she
attempted to discern whether Nancy was a Christian, did not offer Nancy an
opportunity for a fact-finding "appeal."

(Under the Canadian system for handling immigration claims, a hearing
judge's ruling is usually final since the Immigration and Refugee Board has
only limited authority to revisit its own decisions.  However, said Ristau,
a judge has the option of granting an "appeal" in order to give a claimant
additional time to bring forward information for the court to consider
prior to rendering its judgment.)

Ristau says that the court's decision that Nancy is not a Christian seems
to hinge on several points, including:

-- the judge's lack of familiarity with Lutheran beliefs and practices;

-- the question of whether Nancy was actually baptized;

-- the judge's rejection of Ristau's "expert" testimony; and, possibly,

-- Panagakos' own religious bias.

Panagakos, reached by phone in Montreal, declined to offer comment
regarding the decision that she has rendered, saying it would be
"inappropriate" for her to do so.

Nancy emigrated to Canada almost two years ago, claiming her life was in
danger because she was a Christian "convert" in Iran. Ristau said it is
legal in Iran to be a Christian but illegal to convert to Christianity.

Once in Canada, Nancy joined a nondenominational congregation, where she
was baptized.  Later, after several months of Christian education by
Ristau, she became a member of Ascension.

Meanwhile, Nancy's husband, son and daughter have stayed behind in
Iran.  Her daughter, afraid for her safety, stopped attending university
classes in Tehran and, for a while, went into hiding.  Now, says Nancy, who
keeps in touch with her family via e-mail, the other family members are
together again.  But, she said, they have had to break off contact with
other Christians to avoid arrest.

According to Ristau, Nancy emigrated with the idea that, once she was
established in Canada, she would arrange to bring her family out of Iran.

That dream is quickly fading.

Today, says Ristau, Nancy has only two legal avenues for avoiding
deportation, and neither is considered likely to be successful.

First, Nancy has appealed Panagakos' decision through the Federal Court of
Canada.  But, that's considered a long shot.  Besides, said Ristau, the
appeal process is lengthy and will almost certainly be concluded long after
deportation has occurred.

"In Canada, they [government] sort of have the idea that, `Well, if we make
a mistake, we can always get her back,'" said Ristau.  "But, in this case,
that won't work."

Second, Nancy has appealed through Canada's Pre-Removal Risk Assessment
(PRAA) program, which will deal with the question of whether deportation to
Iran would endanger her life.	The odds here, too, are against her since
only 3 percent of those appealing through PRAA are granted refugee status.

Meanwhile, Ascension, which has about 65 in attendance on an average
Sunday, is attempting to raise enough money to pay back an interest-free
loan from a local women's shelter that is helping pay Nancy's PRAA related
legal fees.

Regarding the points on which Panagakos' decision may have been rendered,
Ristau addressed each in a complaint to the Immigration and Refugee Board's
Refugee Protection Division:

-- the judge's lack of familiarity with Lutheran beliefs and practices --
Ristau wrote: "Panagakos continually confessed her ignorance about the
Protestant religion though she was presiding over a case which required a
more informed judge (i.e., she repeatedly stated, `Reverend, forgive my
ignorance pertaining to the Lutheran/Protestant faith, but ... .)  At one
point, I was even questioned as to how our church could be called
`Ascension Evangelical Lutheran Church' even though we did not belong to
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada."

-- the question of whether Nancy was actually baptized -- In an interview
with Reporter, Ristau explained that Nancy's baptism was an immersion
baptism conducted in a swimming pool.

When Nancy was a catechumen at Ascension, she raised questions about the
validity of her baptism, Ristau said.  Because she had done so, Ristau said
he sent an e-mail to the nondenominational congregation's pastor to verify
that the baptism was Trinitarian and involved the use of water.

"She [Panagakos] seemed surprised that I so quickly accepted her [Nancy's]
baptism from another church," he said.	"We only investigate baptisms when
there is doubt in the catechumen's mind.  She [Panagakos] seemed to think
that I was investigating her [Nancy's] baptism because I did not believe
her [Nancy]."

In his complaint, Ristau wrote:

"Panagakos seemed surprised that I did not `re-baptize' [Nancy]. ...
However, we Protestant Christians accept all baptisms administered with
water `in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.'
... I, as minister of Ascension Lutheran Church, was able to determine that
... [Nancy] was legitimately baptized.	It is a great insult to the Church
Body of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod and sister synod Lutheran
Church--Canada (LCC), that our manner of determining a valid baptism is
being questioned by the court."

-- the judge's rejection of Ristau's "expert" testimony -- In his
complaint, Ristau quotes from Panagakos' decision that "the Reverend may
very well be satisfied that the claimant has converted to Christianity,
however ... the panel is not."

Ristau takes exception, writing:

"Because the main task of my profession is to determine the validity of
someone's Christian faith, my testimony should be accepted as truthful. ...
[Nancy] is a communicant member of the Lutheran Church.  I personally took
her through catechetical instruction.  She is one of our most active
members; attends Bible study weekly, helps with our children programs and
vacation Bible school, sets up the communion vessels, etc."

Panagakos' religious bias -- "I felt that the judge minimized my testimony
in favour of her own doctrinal bias. ... I felt myself to be on trial
during an unexpected examination of my credibility which lasted about 90
minutes."

Letters were sent to the court on Nancy's behalf by LCMS President Gerald
Kieschnick, LCC President Ralph Mayan, Missouri Synod SELC District
President Carl Krueger and LCC East District President Allen Maleske.

The letters "failed to change the decision," said Ristau.

And, that means that, as each day passes, Nancy draws that much closer to
prison.

"If you're forced to return to Iran, will you be arrested?" Reporter asked.

"Arrest?  Sure.  I will go airport to jail," said Nancy.  "But, I'm not
going to ... [recant].	I find my God.	My language is not good.  But, how
can I explain my joy, what I feel in my heart?	I know whatever happens,
God's going to take care of me.  Jesus is my Savior."

LCMSNews is published by the News and Information Division, Board for
Communication Services, of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.  Please
note that subscribers to LCMSNews will not be able to reach anyone by
hitting the "Reply" button when viewing an LCMSNews release. Such replies
will be deleted. However, if you have questions or comments about this
LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower Jr. via e-mail at
joe.isenhower@lcms.org, or by phone at (314) 996-1231.

To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your e-mail address for LCMSNews,
go to the following Web address: