From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - Protocol Number 107/02

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:01:47 -0700

		    GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
    8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021  Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212)
				  774-0215
	 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

Protocol Number  107/02

October 28, 2002

  To  the  Most  Reverend  Hierarchs,  the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the
  Monks  and  Nuns, the Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of the
  Greek   Orthodox   Communities,   the   Day  and  Afternoon  Schools,  the
  Philoptochos	Sisterhoods,  the Youth, the Hellenic Organizations, and the
  entire Greek Orthodox Family in America,

  My Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

  By  the  grace  of  God,  we commemorate once again the anniversary of the
  twenty-eighth  of  October,  "OXI Day".  On this day in the year 1940, the
  world  witnessed  the  valor	of the Greek nation, which stood in defiance
  against  the	forces of Fascism.  Today, citizens of Greece and peoples of
  Hellenic  heritage all over the world celebrate in thanksgiving, doxology,
  and  prayer  the  enduring legacy of "OXI Day" bequeathed to them by their
  forebears.   This legacy however, far from being exclusive to a particular
  nation  or  people  is  relevant  to	peoples  of  all nations who cherish
  freedom, peace, and justice.

  This	was  not  a  moment in history when the stronger of two nations said
  "NO"	to  tyranny  and  injustice.  The decision to reject the forces that
  were threatening peace and freedom throughout the world was one that would
  require  great  sacrifice  and  struggle  rather  than  one  that  offered
  immediate  victory.	However, the stance of October 28 and the resilience
  of  Greeks  in  the  years  that  followed affirmed the understanding that
  submission   would   destroy	 freedom   for	 future   generations,	that
  accommodation  would hinder the establishment of peace, and that surrender
  would contradict the deep love for what is just and true.

  As  Greek Orthodox Christians and as Americans, our unique heritage allows
  us  to  appreciate  the  significance  of  "OXI Day" in a very special and
  direct  way.	 The  ideals  of  freedom,  peace, and respect for the human
  person,  nurtured  in the cradle of Hellenic civilization and our Orthodox
  faith,  were threatened in 1940 just as they are being threatened today by
  those  who  terrorize  people  and  nations.	 Yes, our response must be a
  resounding  "NO"  to	hatred,  racism,  bigotry,  and terrorism.  But this
  stance must be accompanied by the willingness to sacrifice and to struggle
  for peaceful coexistence, acceptance, and love.

  This	labor  that  reveals  the  grace  of  God  is  not one of tyranny or
  violence.  It is not forceful reaction to perceived threats.	It is a work
  within  our  homes,  communities,  nations, and our world that follows the
  example  of  the Prince of Peace, the one who brings any crisis to victory
  for  the  threatened	or  the  oppressed,  therefore	offering hope to all
  nations  (Matthew  12:18-21).  It  is  an  offering  of  our faith and our
  heritage  that  strengthens  relationships, facilitates wise choices, and,
  ultimately, overcomes evil with good.  For true freedom and enduring peace
  are not the results of violence, but are formed and nurtured by God in the
  hearts  of people who will stand when necessary and say "NO" to the forces
  of hatred and tyranny.

  May the commemoration of the twenty-eighth of October give us strength and
  conviction to share the love of Christ throughout our world, seeking peace
  and  freedom	for  each person until the coming of the glorious kingdom of
  God where peace shall reign forever.

  With paternal love in Christ,

  ?DEMETRIOS
  Archbishop of America