From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - BULLETIN No. 41/02 October 21, 2002 (c)

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:21:15 -0700

AANA Bulletin is an ecumenical initiative to highlight all endeavours and
experiences of Christians and the people of Africa.  AANA Bulletin is
published weekly and, together with the French Edition - Bulletin APTA - is
also available through e-mail.	For editorial and subscription details,
please contact:

AANA Bulletin	: Acting Editor - Mitch Odero
Bulletin APTA: Edition en frangais, ridacteur intirimaire : Sylvie Alemba

All Africa News Agency
P.O. BOX 66878 NAIROBI, KENYA
TEL : (254 2) 442215, 440224 ; FAX : (254 2) 445847/443241
E-mail : aanaapta@insightkenya.com

Transforming Painful Realities Into Peace Platforms

BENONI, South Africa /GENEVA (AANA) October 21 - In a split of a second her
life had taken a most unexpected twist. On December 22,  1998, a land mine
exploded under the bus carrying Margaret Arach and other passengers to the
Ugandan capital, Kampala.

Cut short were plans to spend Christmas with her children, still living in
the city as she had only recently relocated to Kitgum in the north to take
up a new job. Most of the passengers thought the resultant explosion was a
tyre burst. But reality dawned on them when they heard gunshots and found
themselves surrounded by armed rebels.

"I immediately realised that we had been ambushed. I was still ignorant of
the fact that my leg had been completely severed by the explosion until I
tried to run. That is when I noticed the dangling flesh where my foot used
to be," says Arach.

Northern Uganda has experienced a state of insecurity for over 16 years
now. The rebel insurgency in the area has caused untold suffering and pain
to the local people. It is not just maiming from land mines, they
experience psychological torture and trauma.

Arach was lucky enough to escape with her life, but the vivid memories of
her violators looting from her still linger in her mind. One of them tried
to rape her, but she feigned death and she was left alone.

According to Bishop Baker Ochola II of the Acholi Religious Leaders Peace
Initiative the people of northern Uganda have for a long time lived under
oppression and fear of the realities of insecurity presented in the
community.

Some cannot bear the pain. Ocholla's daughter committed suicide after she
was defiled by rebels. His wife was killed by a land mine. "(She) was blown
into pieces. I felt like a tree that had been split from top to bottom by
lightning".

Healing for Arach was a drawn-out process. For a long time, bitterness and
anger prevented her from engaging in a healing process. She now uses her
disability to advocate for other landmine survivors as well as for people
with other disabilities.

Ochola II has "dedicated my life and my time to peace in Uganda and in the
world. I do not want anyone else to ever go through what happened in my
life".

Getting there was not easy. Survivors of such traumatic experiences have to
go through counselling and various therapies in order to at least calm down
and deal with their overwhelming loss.

Arach acknowledges that most of the so-called rebels, still causing untold
suffering to northern Uganda inhabitants, were enlisted while they were
still children.

There are many cases of rebels who have returned to their communities
seeking forgiveness and reconciliation. Twenty seven-year-old Morlee Zawoo
from Liberia was conscripted into the National Patriotic Front of Liberia
when he was 15.

After years of bloody battles, killing many people and destroying property,
Zawoo fled from the front. "I broke my arm in an ambush and due to my
subsequent disability and the death of my brothers on the battlefront, I
escaped".

Such participation in the battlefront was not without consequences. For
days and nights, Zawoo sufferedfrom terrible fear and nightmares, a
flashback of the atrocities he committed and witnessed.

But thanks to the work of the Inter-Religious Council of Liberia, Zawoo,
like thousands of ex-combatants, is actively engaged in his country's
peace-building process through projects of the Lutheran Church in Liberia.

Prepared by Pauline Mumia

FEATURES  SECTION

Struggle To End Violence Against Women Not Over

The struggle to end violence against women may be far from over. The
persistence of cultural and social norms, traditional beliefs and negative
gender stereotypes contribute a lot to gender inequality. But there is
promise and hope as churches resolve to ensure a violent-free society. The
Church, as a healing community, is better placed to deal with violence
because they interact more with the society at all levels.

By Joyce Mulama

Many churches across the world are taking an admirable lead in extensive
educative and policy formulating processes because they look at violence
against women as a sin against life, which should be condemned, as "it
disregards the image of God in the person affected, be it woman, man, girl
or boy".

The Lutheran World Federation LWF has taken one such leading role.  Last
month, it unveiled an action plan for churches to adopt in their mission to
overcome violence on women.

The action plan titled, Churches Say No to Violence against Women, can also
be useful as a resource material for developing policy frameworks on
violence against women.  It proposes ways in which the society as a whole
could work together to overcome violence.

The organisation's General Secretary, Ishmael Noko says the document is
LWF's contribution to the call for "Decade to Overcome Violence, 2001-2010"
by the World Council of Churches WCC.

It is also in response to the United Nations "International Decade for a
Culture of Peace and Non-violence for the Children of the World
(2001-2010)". He says: "When those who are victimised suffer, so does God.
Let us work together to overcome all forms of violence that are an offence
against God and humanity".

The resource guide notes that if violence against women and children is to
stop, men must be highly involved. "They must ask themselves, 'what does
this mean to me and how should I think, behave and respond so that violence
could be reduced'".

The plan underlines the need for a systematic gender analysis that would
help all to understand the attitudes, roles and behaviours of men and women
conditioned by religion, culture, patriarchy and how they could be changed.

It is said that persistence of cultural and social norms, traditional
beliefs and negative gender stereotypes contribute a lot to gender
inequality. Practices such as FGM, which is viewed in some communities as
both religious and traditional, are believed to facilitate acts of violence
against women.

The process of globalisation has also contributed to violence against
women. The changing economic system has extended women's role to that of
the provider.

Inadequately trained women with no bargaining power are misled by visions
of better prospects, and enter labour markets as migrant workers because
they have no other choice.

In this vulnerable situation, women are often traumatised, sexually abused
and held in bondage in the countries they migrate to with neither access to
the outside world nor adequate remuneration. They live in constant fear of
arrest, fines, imprisonment or deportation.

LWF points out that much exposure to violence through the media has not
only desensitised humankind to its horror but has also created a culture of
violence. That children from the affluent imbibe this culture through
television is a fact.

The targeting of women and girls through pornography, sex tourism and the
sex trade has been exacerbated by electronic media and has contributed
greatly to hostility towards women. There are websites established by the
sex trade, with the capacity to reach many more people.

The 64-page document further points out that the rise in extreme
fundamentalist movements have accentuated the violence endured by women.
They find it difficult to admit to enduring domestic violence because such
movements cause them to feel that "confessing violence is denying God's
presence in their lives". Their theology creates feelings of shame and
inhibition as they suffer.

In this regard, the document emphasises the need for the Church to initiate
dialogue and interfaith discussion on the relationship between violence and
religion, and the importance of safeguarding religion from fanatical.
Indeed, an LWF interfaith conference on peace took place in South Africa
(see stories under Inter Faith Summit).

The action plan recommends that websites be periodically monitored as a
cooperative initiative of local communities and congregations. There is
also need to develop a critical approach to media portrayal of women, and
make it a part of discussion in women's, men's and youth group activities.

The action plan advocates for governments to establish supportive
structures for single mothers, divorced or separated women, and widows, to
empower them financially.

In response, women groups and organisations around Africa are intensifying
activities to empower communities to rise up against acts of violence on
women.	About 100 women from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Malawi ELCM
held a three-day meeting recently to reflect on the LWF document.

The workshop focused on raising awareness among women about situations of
violence in the family, workplace and the woman's life in general.

ELCM Bishop Joseph Bvumbwe said there was alarming existence of violence
against women and children in the home	He stressed: "We must all join
hands to ensure that violence is rooted out".

Also taking a leading role, the All Africa Conference of Churches AACC has
also come up with a resource guide to enable churches and church-related
agencies at the local and national level to raise awareness on issues
related to violence against women.

Like the LWF document, it provides users with information and skills needed
to facilitate empowerment workshops on violence against women.

The 58-page document titled, Rise Up And Act; A Resource Material on
Violence Against Women, is produced by the AACC Women's Desk and can be
used by women, men, individuals and groups that are interested in the fight
against the vice.

AACC's Women's Desk Programme Executive, Battu Jambawai, said at its launch
on August 28 that the resource material was a contribution to the World
Council of Churches WCC Decade to Overcome Violence 2001-2010.

Battu said: "For violence to be eradicated, communities have to see, hear
feel and identify with the pains and agony of millions of women and girls
who are suffering daily in the hands of their perpetrators".

  Regulators Investigate Controversial Radio Message

The Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority, Macra, has threatened to
drag Radio Islam for a public hearing for allegedly airing provocative and
insulting programmes against the Catholic Church and its leadership. Macra
began investigating Radio Islam, a privately owned religious radio station,
after a high-ranking Catholic clergyman lodged a complaint upon listening
to one such programme.

By Hamilton Vokhiwa

Macra officials say they are " seriously reviewing transcripts and tape
recordings" of the alleged provocative programmes. "Depending on our
findings, we might decide to bring Radio Islam before a public hearing ,"
Dave Kadwa, who is Macra's general counsel, said in s statement.

Kadwa said for reasons of fairness, Macra's five directorates were
individually reading the transcripts and listening to tape recordings. "We
are doing this because we don't want to prejudice each other's views or
opinions on this issue of paramount sensitivity".

Macra began investigating Radio Islam, a privately owned religious radio
station, after a high ranking Catholic clergyman, Monsignor Joseph Kim of
St John's seminary in Mangochi lodged a complaint upon listening to a
programme called "Contemporary issues" aired on August 17 and 21 this year.

According to Kim two speakers in the two programmes were trying to respond
to an "unofficial" pamphlet called Maphunziro a Bible	(Bible lessons)
allegedly produced by members of St Pius Catholic Parish in Blantyre in May
this year.

"Basically it was insult after insult directed at some top leaders of the
Catholic Church and the Church in general," said Kim, adding that the
language was so bad that it could lead to disastrous consequences if
Catholics and Christians in general responded to them.

Kim expressed surprise that the respectable people featured in the
programme did not consult with the Catholic secretariat which is the mouth
piece of the Church in Malawi.

Kim explained that the Catholic Church was inundated with telephone calls
urging it to retaliate through its own Radio Maria, but found it
distasteful to do that, saying it would have been against the dictates of
Christianity.

Radio Islam director, Hubideen Yahya confirmed that Macra requested the
transcripts and tape recordings of  August 17 and 21 and that he handed
them over "because it is part of the monitoring policy".

Macra issued a license to Radio Islam last year, swelling the number of
public and private radio stations in the country to 12. Each one is
supposed to adhere to specific regulations granted under its licence.

The purported foul language by Radio Islam comes when leaders of the main
Christian churches in Malawi have been strongly condemning the policies of
the government of President Bakili Muluzi, himself a Muslim.

The leaders from the Catholic Church as well as the Anglican, Presbyterian
and Pentecostal churches have been in the forefront under the auspices of
Episcopal Conference of Malawi, to call for good governance and an end to
state sponsored political violence.

The move also comes soon after the disclosure of a secret circular letter
purported to originate from a Muslim group calling itself the Al-Islamiyya
Ul-Jihaadin, which has used contemptuous language against the Christian
community in Malawi, warning of severe consequences for what it describes
as disregard for Muslims  in the country.

Copies of the three page document back-dated to May 20 this year
were  discovered within the premises of a number of Christian churches in
Blantyre. At least one independent newspaper, the Chronicle, copied the
document in its entirety in one of its issues in September without making
comments on it.

One of the Christian churches convened a special Sunday service to condemn
the letter found within their precincts through prayer to cast what the
charismatic congregation termed "the work of the devil".

The letter condemns Christians for what it says is their involvement in
politics, threatening an attack similar to the September 11, 2001 in New
York and Washington in which thousands of people lost their lives.

The  document also challenges Christians to what it describes as a Jihad
(holy war) supported by what it terms well wishers from Islamic countries.
"If America was challenged and confounded, what about you in Malawi," the
document warns.

In its reaction, Radio Islam management accused the Malawi Communication
Regulatory Authority  of  not informing the religious radio station in time
about the complaint from Kim.

The head of news and current affairs for Radio Islam, Rashid Mapira
confirmed that Macra had collected the recorded materials of the said
programmes but accused the regulatory body of flouting its broadcasting
enforcement procedures.

Mapira claimed that under Macra's broadcasting enforcement procedures, the
organisation was expected to forward a copy of the complaint to the accused
radio station before asking it to make a presentation.

"This did not happen. We only learnt about the complaint on the programme
in the newspapers. By doing so, Macra breached the broadcasting enforcement
procedures," said Mapira. He expressed concern over Macra's threats by
using the press before communicating to the radio station.

But Mapira defended the station, saying the views expressed in the
programme were those of the panellists and callers who were responding to
the topic the Islamic radio station chose for discussion.

"Contemporary issues" is a phone-in discussion programme where panellists
and callers are given time to express their views on issues of public
interest.

"During the mentioned programme, we picked a letter authored by a group of
Catholics of St Pius Church for discussion," said Mapira adding that people
from all corners of Malawi contributed to the discussion.

"Even Christians called. The views expressed were a combination of Muslims
and non-Muslims," he said.