From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Episcopal Migration Ministries blasts "end of US hospitality" to refugees

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:27:43 -0400

October 23, 2002

2002-244

Episcopalians: Episcopal Migration Ministries blasts "end of
US hospitality" to refugees

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) Calling it "the beginning of the end to US hospitality to
refugees," C. Richard Parkins, director of Episcopal Migration
Ministries, strongly criticized the Bush administration's
imposition of a 70,000-person ceiling on refugee admissions for
fiscal 2003.

In a statement released October 23, Parkins said the ceiling
"sends the unfortunate message that the United States is
retreating from its commitment to rescue a significant number of
the world's persecuted persons."

"The US Government has over the past ten years backed away
from the more generous admissions ceilings of past years," said
Parkins. "This is occurring against a background of  an
increasing number of refugees worldwide--now 15,000,000--with
more countries forcing refugees to find safety in countries
whose own political and economic systems are fragile. In short,
the world refugee crisis provides no basis for a scaled back
resettlement program by the nation which once provided
leadership in this program of humanitarian rescue."

Parkins also pointed out that the ceiling "is also a
questionable target," since some 20,000 are
"unallocated"--meaning unassigned to any region of the world.
"This implies that the Government has determined that 50,000 is
the realistic target," Parkins said, representing the lowest
number of projected refugee arrivals in xx years.

According to Parkins, concerns about national security and
the "war on terrorism" are not valid reasons for reducing
refugee admissions. "We reject the notion that advancing nationl
security and honoring our national tradition of hospitality to
persecuted persons are incompatible goals," he stated. In fact,
he said, reduced US willingness to accept refugees for
resettlement can further destabilize volatile regional
situations, as neighboring nations become less willing to serve
as countries of first asylum.

In his statement, Parkins raised the possibility that the
admissions ceiling is not a reaction to the events of September
11, 2001, but "a serious attempt to permanently downsize the US
resettlement program."

"As Christians, we are called to welcome the stranger and to
serve the most vulnerable and marginalized among us. Refugees
fit the definition," he concluded. "We must, therefore, not
permit a modest number of refugee arrivals to our shore to
suffice as our response to a burgeoning humanitarian crisis."

------

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News
Service.