From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: National Ministries Convenes Ethnic Ministries Summit

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:01:59 -0400

American Baptist News Service (10/23/02)--American Baptist National
Ministries sponsored a summit about ethnic, multicultural and intercultural
ministries for staff members at the Valley Forge Mission Center Oct. 8-9.
The meeting was facilitated by Ms. Adrienne Edmondson of Edmondson &
Associates of Mission, Kans.

Through conversations about racial reconciliation and emerging ethnic and
cultural groups in the United States, summit participants:
7     expanded their understanding of new groups to be reached, including,
but not limited to, persons of Eastern European and Middle Eastern
background;
7     explored the meaning of multicultural and intercultural ministries in
a post-Sept. 11 world;
7     explored strategic ways to encourage and enable racial reconciliation
among American Baptist Churches USA member congregations; and
7     explored ways to enhance the effectiveness of ethnic ministries in
light of the NEW LIFE 2010 goals to start 1,010 new churches, reach
1,000,010 new disciples, vitalize caring ministries and transform
congregations.

National Ministries Executive Director Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III
convened the summit because, he said, "I am growing more and more convinced
that the central 21st century challenge is how we become an intercultural
denomination and an intercultural America....  To me that is the challenge
for American Baptist churches and the unique opportunity we have as a
mainline denomination that can positively impact the American cultural
scene."

Plans are underway to continue the dialog throughout 2003 and ultimately
make ministry and mission decisions from the discussions.  National
Ministries recently added a Black Church Ministries office, staffed by the
Rev. Brenda Halliburton.

02ABN151

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (610)768-2077; fax:
(610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org; richard.schramm@abc-usa.org