From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: At Executive Council, Griswold,Werner reflect on 'uncertain time'

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:02:25 -0400

October 24, 2002

2002-248

Episcopalians: At Executive Council, Griswold,Werner reflect
on 'uncertain time'

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) Immediate financial issues, including a proposed budget
for the next triennium and plans for a joint project of the
Episcopal Church Center and the General Theological Seminary in
New York, dominated the fall meeting of the Executive Council in
Jackson Hole, Wyoming, October 11-14. But in the background
loomed the concerns of a nation, and a world, contemplating war.

"We are in an uncertain time," said Presiding Bishop Frank T.
Griswold in opening remarks to the gathering. "People are
prickly, people are unsettled" by war and institutional
failure--especially corporate malfeasance and the pedophilia
scandals of the Roman Catholic Church. In such a time, Griswold
said, it's useful to take stock of what's going on personally,
communally and globally for signs and sources of hope.

He cited his own visits to the Gathering the neXt Generation
(GtNG) conference in Indianapolis and the Episcopal Youth Event
in Laramie, Wyoming, earlier this year as just such signs, and
found himself "encouraged by the spirit, warmth, generosity,
eagerness and hopefulness" of the generations of Episcopalians
following his own. He found signs of the diversity of the
church, he said, in a visit to the Diocese of the Rio Grande,
and signs of the church's "diverse center" in an encounter with
a group of five relatively new bishops at the House of Bishops
meeting in Cleveland this fall.

Money for war, but not for AIDS

He also spoke of his disappointment at the drive towards an
expensive war with Iraq by the Bush administration in the midst
of pressing concerns such as the AIDS pandemic in Africa.
Referring to a lecture by Stephen
Lewis, special envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, presented at
the bishops' fall meeting in Cleveland, Griswold said that "the
rich nations could take care of [the AIDS pandemic] but do not."

"It is horrifying that we spend a billion dollars a day on
war and none on AIDS," he said, adding that an entire generation
of Africans between the ages of 25 and 44 is "disappearing"
because of the disease. When he attempted to address that and
the humanitarian crisis in the Mideast at a meeting with Bush's
national security advisor, Condoleezza Rice, in September,
Griswold said he was "struck by her response"--not disinterest,
but a clear sense that the administration's "attention really is
turned elsewhere." He said he found it disturbing that the US
will "focus briefly on something, we unsettle it and then we
move on to something else," and cited the Afghanistan conflict
as an example.

Party spirit condemned

House of Deputies president George Werner had conflicts in
the church on his mind in his opening remarks. Recalling a
recent gathering at which he was asked to speak to seminarians
about his years in ministry, Werner said he realized that "more
than half my ordained life has been spent in the toxic
atmosphere of a party spirit" in which "you spend time looking
at others to find fault." Such a spirit "tells the truth but
never the whole truth," he argued. Werner went on to blast what
he saw as a redefinition of orthodoxy in the Episcopal Church by
partisans who "shoot first and paint the targets later." "It
excludes me and others," he said, "and that hurts."

At its meeting, the Executive Council endorsed statements by
both Griswold and the House of Bishops urging the Bush
administration and Congress to "pursue resolution of the present
crisis regarding Iraq in company with our allies and with other
nations, resisting the use of absolute force until the need for
a military solution has been unmistakably established."

Council also passed a resolution opposing HR-2357, "The
Houses of Worship Political Speech Protection Act," introduced
by Republican representative Walter Jones of North Carolina,
which will be coming up for a suspension vote in the next few
weeks. Current federal law states that houses of worship, like
other 501(c)(3) organizations, cannot legally engage in partisan
political activities and retain their tax-exempt status. The
Jones bill would allow houses of worship to use their tax-exempt
contributions for political purposes and to endorse candidates.

------

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News
Service.