From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Presbyterian Moderator installed as cathedral canon

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 25 Oct 2002 13:50:46 -0400

Note #7485 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Presbyterian Moderator installed as cathedral canon in East Jerusalem
02417
October 24, 2002

Presbyterian Moderator installed as cathedral canon in East Jerusalem

by Alexa Smith

EAST JERUSALEM - In a eucharistic ceremony at the Cathedral of St. George the
Martyr - just blocks from the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem's Old City - the
moderator of the Presbyterian Church (USA) was installed as Ecumenical Canon
of the cathedral.
	The Rev. Fahed Abu-Akel is the second moderator to be installed to
the canonry. The Rev. Robert Bohl was installed during his term in 1994.
	But Abu-Akel is the first Presbyterian to be installed who is a
Palestinian-American, born in the Galilee.
	"I am very grateful for that honor. But being moderator is more
important than being a canon," said Abu-Akel, who just visited the Holy Land
with a delegation from the Presbyterian Church (USA). "It was a very gracious
event and I am grateful to the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem.
	"This speaks a lot about our partnership in the PC(U.S.A.), working
with the diocese of Jerusalem  This honor was given to the moderator," said
Abu-Akel, emphasizing that the ecumenical canonry is vested with the office
of moderator of the PC(USA).
	Canons of the cathedral compose the governing council for cathedral
affairs. The immediate past presiding bishop of the Jerusalem Diocese, Samir
Kafity, reserved the office of ecumenical canon for the moderator of the
PC(USA).
	Other than Bohl, the only other Presbyterian to be installed as a
canon of the cathedral was the Rev. Kenneth Bailey, a scholar who served in
the mission field in the Middle East, including teaching at an ecumenical
study center near Bethlehem.
	The Rev. Victor Makari, the Worldwide Ministries Division liaison to
the Middle East, said the role of ecumenical canon is a form of partnership
that is expressed by "standing with the people  That's what we mean by
solidarity. Some other denominations call it companionship or accompaniment.
But the essential thing is being there for the people.
"And to be counted on to do all you can do to tell their story, interpret
their reality, but, above all, to uphold the people in your prayers."
	During the ceremony, Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal read a vow to Abu-Akel,
saying:  "Whilst this Cathedral is the Mother Church of our Diocese, it is
also a focal point for the whole Anglican Communion. By its very nature set
at the heart of the Christian Church here in this land of the Holy One, it is
also a place of welcome and ecumenical prayer for the God's Church. With
God's help will you do all in your power to strengthen our relationship with
other Churches and encourage prayer for this Land so that God in all things
may be glorified and his kingdom enlarged?"
	Abu-Akel answered, "I will so do, the Lord being my helper."
	Abu-Akel and his delegation traveled nearly the length of
Israel/Palestine in 12 days, visiting Abu-Akel's hometown, close to the
border of Lebanon, and then, in the opposite direction, Gaza. The bulk of the
delegation's time was spent in meetings in East Jerusalem with church
leaders, humanitarian workers and political analysts.
	Makari said that, throughout the visit, Palestinian Christians
responded to Abu-Akel's election as moderator with a sense of "vindication of
the Palestinian people's cause" and "genuine gratitude for the solidarity of
the Presbyterian Church that was so empirically expressed in the election of
the moderator. For Palestinians, the election of a Palestinian moderator of
the Presbyterian Church was a tangible sign of this partnership," he said,
referring to the ties the denomination has with both the Episcopal Diocese
and with the Lutheran Church in Jerusalem.
	During his sermon, Abu-Akel told the congregation that he would
return to the United States and "lift up the plight of people of faith" in
Palestine.
	The ceremony took place Oct. 13.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org